The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Not sure if this is a good place to ask...I am currently housing 6 Cardinal Tetras, 7 White Mountain Minnow, 3 Guppy, 3 Otocinclous and 1 Dwarf Sunset Gourami in my 17 Gallon tank measuring (60x30x36cm). That's 20 small fishes in a 17gallon.
Normally the Guppies and the Gourami will stay near to the top of the tank, the cardinal tetras mid-low section of the tank, the Otos lowest level....and well the Mountain Minnows are all over the place. Each group seems to have their own hangout place. Do you think it's overstocked?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Hi All,

Not sure if this is a good place to ask...I am currently housing 6 Cardinal Tetras, 7 White Mountain Minnow, 3 Guppy, 3 Otocinclous and 1 Dwarf Sunset Gourami in my 17 Gallon tank measuring (60x30x36cm). That's 20 small fishes in a 17gallon.
Normally the Guppies and the Gourami will stay near to the top of the tank, the cardinal tetras mid-low section of the tank, the Otos lowest level....and well the Mountain Minnows are all over the place. Each group seems to have their own hangout place. Do you think it's overstocked?
I'd say you are full up. Wouldn't say you are overstocked necessarily, but I wouldn't add any more to that tank.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I think that overstocked can mean a lot of things. Do any of the fish seem overly stressed (rapid breathing, etc.)? If the answer is no, then the population is probably at or under capacity (I would lead more towards at capacity). How about nitrates? If you have to do more than a 50% water change every week, then your tank's bioload might be a bit too high and you should remedy that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think that overstocked can mean a lot of things. Do any of the fish seem overly stressed (rapid breathing, etc.)? If the answer is no, then the population is probably at or under capacity (I would lead more towards at capacity). How about nitrates? If you have to do more than a 50% water change every week, then your tank's bioload might be a bit too high and you should remedy that.
It just looks a bit crowded at the moment. The water parameters are good. There is quite a lot poop in the tank. Normally I would do 2 water a change a week. One at 20% during weekday and another 50% on the weekend.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.