The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
i will have a luxury of one of my tanks being free of fish for a few days. there are small snails inthere that i hate. what are my nuke options in this case?
CO2 overdose? any chemicals? im open to anything that works. i know copper does but no idea where to get and how to dose it

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi,
i will have a luxury of one of my tanks being free of fish for a few days. there are small snails inthere that i hate. what are my nuke options in this case?
CO2 overdose? any chemicals? im open to anything that works. i know copper does but no idea where to get and how to dose it
you will never get rid of the copper, so i wouldnt use that.

what fish do you keep? maybe add a puffer, they are incredibly smart and entertaining and should keep snail population down.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You can always gas them out with CO2. Use a ridiculous amount straight into the water with near no surface agitation and they will be dead in a day. Repeat for a week and you've got every snail and egg.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CO2 it is then.

can anyone comment on using carbonized water from store to avoid hooking up pressurized co2(im lazy and most probably need to shop for tubes to do so) ?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Lol, if only there was a way to get the nozzle from the sodastream into the water... (go 80's).

just buy a packet of yeast at the grocer. Mix it with 2 cups of sugar in a 2 litre bottle with an air tube through the cap.
I make the hole smaller than the tube, then put the end of the tube through, jam a 2 way connector into the tube end and force it back to the hole in the cap, so the inner connector is pressing the tube tight against the lid.
Leave about 3 inches open in the top when filling with mildly warm water.
I mean like it must hardly feel warmer than your hand... Using the whole packet of yeast should give a strong, if short production of co2.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Ive read of people using sparkling water to gas a tank with co2. I'm not sure how big your tank is and how much it would take but apparently its been used to nuke scuds and there is no residual effects.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I tried it and it killed many but some were way under the substrate and it didn't get those. My tank was MOSTLY carbonated and bubbled for a long time. My plants didn't appreciated and it killed off about half my HC.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
reporting back.
i dumped a sixpack of carbonated water in almost drained tank which made concentration of sparkling water roughly 2/3. the filter was off.
the show was spectacular! its was like newyears fireworks in the aquarium :D
it lasted for good few hours. in the morning i couldnt spot a single moving snail. will keep a close eye on that and repeat the procedure if neccesary. here are a few pics of the show

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Would saran wrap trap co2 gas?

If so, you should be able to gas the tank and place saran wrap over the tank (obviously you would want minimal atmospheric air space between saran wrap and tank water) to keep co2 levels remaining high and o2 levels minimal-none. Just a added step to make gassing more effective. Any snails that might of happened to survive should climb to the water surface in attempts to find relief. If they don't die within a day, then I guess you could manually remove the remaining few that should be along the water surface. If saran wrap doesn't work, then use whatever material you know is impermeable (doesn't allow gas to pass through).

Thanks for reporting on the outcome.

Does anyone happen to know if co2 over-gassing like that would kill bacteria as well? Whether bacterial diseases, parasites or even aerobic autotrophic nitrifying bacteria and heterotrophic bacteria, etc?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.