The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:icon_sad: So first off i have to say i feel pretty bad. I spot treated (nuked) my 29 gal tank with H202 about 3mm per gallon. After leaving it in there for about 30 mins I did a 50% water change. After another 10 minutes i did another 20% water change because there were still some bubbles coming up.

Well this morning i wake up to find that ive lost both of my ottos, 2 of my CPD's 1 Neon tetra and all 4 of my nerite snails :icon_sad:. The 5 amano shrimp appear to be acting strange as well. I guessed i used to much H202, learn from me please, dont use h202 as a spot treater unless you have tried every other method or dont use as much as I did. Sad :icon_frow

should i do another 50% water change today??

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
I guessed i used to much H202, learn from me please, dont use h202 as a spot treater unless you have tried every other method or dont use as much as I did. Sad :icon_frow
Thank God most human beings are capable of understanding the consequences of their actions before doing something stupid. Seriously, what gave you the idea to use the stuff in a tank with fish?

Okay, scolding aside, did you spot treat or did you nuke? Nuking usually refers to applying a substance to the whole tank so that a high concentration of the substance wipes out most organic life. Spot treating is the application of the substance to problematic areas. Spot treating can harm animals, e.g. when they swim through the area in question, but it shouldn't raise the concentration so high that you have deaths hours later.

By the way, what type of H2O2 solution did you use? I think most commonly available solutions have between 3 and 6% H202.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
H2O2 is usually safe to use in aquariums for algae control, but I wouldn't go over 1ml/gallon. I've used up to 15ml in a 10g without any problems before.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I would also throw in an airstone and get the agitation up some.

Sorry to hear a mass genocide happened in your tank, I've done it once before as well (killed about 100 RCS)...

-Andrew

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3% H202

it was spot treating, but due to how much i used, 3ml per gallon 90 ml total,
and everyone else doing just about 1ml per gallon its a nuke i suppose :icon_frow

on a better note seems like everyone else is fine and the amanos should pull through!

completely messed up the biological filter too, i have a bacterial bloom just like its a new tank

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have become a fan of excel after using it once. I do see how it might be expensive in a 90 gallon tank but in my 55 gallon tank I only used 17mL a day and it kill and massive infestation of staghorn in 9 days. So you don't have to do 1mL per gallon like some people say. It didn't kill anything (except maybe 1 neon) and my plants are healthier.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow this just keeps getting more amazing, it appears as though my entire biological filter was destroyed and i am now in possession of an "uncycled tank"

nitrite levels were measured today at 1ppm i haven't seen nitrite in this tank for the last 7 years...

a kuhli loach passed away :( the other one might be going soon,

another 20% water change and hooked up my venturi injector on the powerhead to increase surface agitation, neon tetras and the last CPD continue to hang at the surface "gasping for air" (perhaps due to the nitrite?) the only fish seemingly unaffected is the lone sparkling gourami

ahhhhhhhhhhh i dont know what else i can do :icon_redf if its just wait for nitrite and nitrate to go down :-(

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Double dose of Prime. Now. And throw in a large bunch of fast-growing and cheap stem plants. Water changes are good, too, but they won't do the trick alone.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
thanks dude, double dosed it today in the correct amount according to the instructions, guess all i can do now is wait

edit, prime seems to be helping wohoo! thanks a bunch, time to rebuild

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow i used to do 2-3ml per gal when i had bad algae outbreaks and never had this happen. though i only lef tthe filter off for about 10 mins then turned it right back on. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Excel is great but in higher doses shrimp don't really like it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry to hear! I have dosed my entire water column(180gal @1ml per gal) with H202 twice and nothing has ever happened. My filtration wasnt affected...but I didnt run my canisters untill I did a wc. Discus, corys, amanos, black neons and rummy noses and none had any problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts