The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm looking to buy a new RO unit.

Can someone explain to me why "nuclear grade" deionization resin is called "nuclear grade?" Does being "nuclear grade" have anything to do with the substance emitting radiation? I know that sounds funny, but "nuclear" makes me think it contains hazardous materials.

Also, I have a very old "backpack style" reverse osmosis unit by Nature's Way. Well, when trying to replace filters, the company doesn't seem to be in existence anymore.

Is anyone familiar with this company? Their old contact information does not work. I even searched for them on google and find almost nothing.

Thanks

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think nuclear grade is trying to say it'll clean out all amounts of non-water materials from the water. Or it's trying to say it's purest of pure water. Pretty sure if you're going to use water for nuclear purposes, you want it to be as pure as possible.

·
Registered
738 Posts
It means it is suitable for removing ions from the water in a nuclear reactor (a very high grade). Not sure if it is used on the heavy water stage or just the steam/water in the second stage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts