Monochoria vaginalis
Ottelia alismoides
Sagittaria sagittifolia
Salvinia auriculata
Salvinia biloba
Salvinia herzogii
Salvinia molesta
Sparganium erectum

So is it like Illegal to own these plants here in Cali or you just cant ship them out? I plan on(when I move out) setting up many planted aquariums but dont want to own illegal plants and get caught. Oh and on the Hygrophila polysperma, does that go for the entire species?

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
The way I understand it - and please speak up if I'm wrong...

It is illegal to:

1) transport these plants across state lines or into or out of the country without a permit
2) transport within a state in such a way that they may be released and spread into local waterways
3) release these plants into local waterways (and this includes contained bodies such as ornamental ponds, which still have the risk of infecting other bodies if birds or other wildlife spread them)

Owning them and maintaining them responsibly in your aquarium and disposing of the clippings in a responsible way (let them dry out and wrap in plastic before disposing) is acceptable. The DNR won't give you trouble as long as you are mindful of what you do, don't contribute to the problem, and are a responsible keeper of these plants.

Just a note, if you DO happen to mail any of these via Shop 'n Swap (which, technically, you should NOT), please encourage the buyer to NEVER release into the wild and properly dispose of clippings.

EDIT: and yes, I believe H. polysperma is noxious in all varieties.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The way I understand it - and please speak up if I'm wrong...

It is illegal to:

1) transport these plants across state lines or into or out of the country without a permit
2) transport within a state in such a way that they may be released and spread into local waterways
3) release these plants into local waterways (and this includes contained bodies such as ornamental ponds, which still have the risk of infecting other bodies if birds or other wildlife spread them)

Owning them and maintaining them responsibly in your aquarium and disposing of the clippings in a responsible way (let them dry out and wrap in plastic before disposing) is acceptable. The DNR won't give you trouble as long as you are mindful of what you do, don't contribute to the problem, and are a responsible keeper of these plants.

Just a note, if you DO happen to mail any of these via Shop 'n Swap (which, technically, you should NOT), please encourage the buyer to NEVER release into the wild and properly dispose of clippings.

EDIT: and yes, I believe H. polysperma is noxious in all varieties.

Thanks for clearing that up. We are having a detective come over and I do not want to be in trouble lol.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I'm not clear on this. You can't just have people coming in to your house looking for banned aquatic plants. It just doesn't work like that. Search warrants, etc.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where having a detective come by about a car that was stolen in our property and they are interrigating everyone and have a warrant to search the apartments :(. Second car stolen and they make a big deal about it, they should have done this the first time but no.

I just dont want them to say anything to me. The detective is a d***. Known him for 6 years and he dont like us.

·
Registered
674 Posts
how wonderful...well i dont think that detective is gonna look in your fish tank and grill you about it

"What are these, these...plants?!?!?! Are they illegal?"

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
So, two cars have been stolen from your property?

Too many criminal jackasses in Sacramento (I'm thinking its everywhere though). My wife and I moved to Sac less than two years ago and bought a house. Already we've both had our cars broken into in front of our house and we've had our house robbed TWICE. Welcome to Sac.

I hope everything goes well for you. I personally don't think the guy is going to give a crap about plants in your aquarium being illegal or not. There's probably only one plant he would notice or care about someone growing at their house.

-Ryan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts