The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, what's up? I've never experienced these things in tanks before - is this the cost of having live plants, or did they come in on fish? Today I'm seeing lots of tiny white worms on the glass. I think they might have black (dark) heads, but they are so tiny it's hard to tell. Also, see the crown shaped thing to the lower left? I know I've seen pics of these before, but I can't remember what they are called. So, are my fish in danger? What should I do? I can reach in & squish all the worms I see, but I'm sure an explosion is in the making...

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What a way to turn Sat. into water change day! lol Just did a 20% change on both tanks, hoping to help...I turned on a 36" bubble wand for the first time yesterday - could that have triggered the climb up the glass? (they were all heading up) I'm assuming they're normally in the substrate?
BTW, without thinking, I poured the water on my pepper plants on my deck - like I always do. Should I toss the peppers? Can these things transfer to people like a tapeworm? Ugh, I'm so grossed out! lol Think I'll toss them anyway - lol
So, I guess you mean a liquid dewormer for cats & dogs - what amount would I put in the tank - it's a 55. I haven't seen any in the 40b, but I'll treat it too. Is it safe to treat with the fish in the tank or do they have to be caught & removed? Do I do a water change after the treatment, and if so, how long do I wait from the treatment time to the water change time?
Thanks,
PS, I work at Walmart - do you think the common dewormers like we carry have the ingredients I need? It would save me making a special trip out to Petsmart today...
OMG, I'm going to vomit! I just Googled planaria - I'm ripping those peppers out pronto! YUK! It looks like a d*mn leech! And it gets huge! I have major bug phobia - no legs or too many legs - that's what gets me the most. Two legs, four legs. Anything else must die.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Thats the nature of plantedtanks. Although you can get a tank completely clean of all things except for what animals and plants u put in it, chances are that it will never be 100% In the end, its easier to accept small levels of harmless critters in the tank such as snails and copepods.

That being said, I don't think thats planaria or hydra. Although I need a better picture to see if it is hydra. I'm not entirely sure what they are but I had them as well. I guess they are plant worms. I threw some snails in and they ate them. Same with any glass suckers, plecos and such. You can try the dewormer as that is relatively safe. Plants and fishes arn't harmed by it and I never had a shrimp die from it. It can be found in almost any petshop that deals with dogs

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, these worms didn't have the split head as far as I could see, but I didn't look at them too closely. And they are very tiny yet - maybe the head isn't so developed. I can deal with it (not passing out now - past that - lol) IF they aren't harmful to fish. I squished what I could find, but I'll try to take a better look/pic. These were about the size of the commas in this text, and some were 1/2 longer than the comma. ( , )
I don't mind snails and things I can identify. I just want to know if it's harmful.
I still don't know how much dewormer to use for 55 & 40g...
if it's something that the snails would eat, I'd stop killing the snails..lol I hate putting chemicals into the tanks.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dr.tran -
I looked over that sticky twice, because the pic of the planaria was so different than what I was seeing. The plant worms, on the other hand, look like them. Again, I didn't get a close look and they are still very tiny, so perhaps not fully formed.
If they are planaria, the reading I've been doing this morning says they are not parasitic or harmful, so I will keep vacuuming the soil & do water changes to see what happens. If I get an explosion, then I'll treat with dewormer. That's what I say now, but if I get too creeped out, dewormer it is! I also just read a "pinch" of dewormer per 10 gallons. I thought all dewormer was liquid? Oh well, I can guess a "pinch".
It's interesting to me that this is in the dirt tank, and I haven't seen any in the non-dirt tank. I also never saw them until I disturbed the soil/water with the turbulence of the bubble wand. I bought the bubble wand because the 55 is a very still blackwater tank (or was until my water change today. I miss the tannins!) Guess I really stirred things up!
I didn't think I was overfeeding the fish, but since I overfeed myself, how can I really tell - lol.
So, doctor, did you deworm, or handle it more naturally?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I didn't know that planaria where harmful to fish I've had them in my 20 gallon for a while never had an problems with them. If you see them when you light is on then you probably do have a lot of them. From what I've read the problem is less about the planaria and more about the conditions in the tank to allow an outbreak. Things like overfeeding will help them have a constant food source. The conditions that allow them to thrive can be a problem for your fish. I don't think they get any bigger then the ones you see in your aquarium, at least the species that are common in aquariums. You think planaria are bad I had a microbiology course and brought in some of my tank water to look at under a compound microscope it's amazing on one hand and disturbing if you like me didn't start off knowing how to start a syphon without your mouth the idea still makes me grimace.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took some other pics of a worm (still a bunch in there) and I do think it's planaria - when I zoomed in, one looked like the head was very slightly spade shaped. The others are hydras, def. Since I can't bear to look at the worms, pinches of dewormer it will be. The hydras are cute little buggers, tho.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't know that planaria where harmful to fish I've had them in my 20 gallon for a while never had an problems with them. If you see them when you light is on then you probably do have a lot of them. From what I've read the problem is less about the planaria and more about the conditions in the tank to allow an outbreak. Things like overfeeding will help them have a constant food source. The conditions that allow them to thrive can be a problem for your fish. I don't think they get any bigger then the ones you see in your aquarium, at least the species that are common in aquariums. You think planaria are bad I had a microbiology course and brought in some of my tank water to look at under a compound microscope it's amazing on one hand and disturbing if you like me didn't start off knowing how to start a syphon without your mouth the idea still makes me grimace.
BLAH! You folks sure know how to help a dieter...lol
I'll cut back on the feeding amount - I'm worried they will starve! lol That's why I'm plump, to be sure ; )
I'll be happy if they don't get any bigger. When I did the google image thing, these giant leech-like creatures filled my computer screen. I gagged.
Think they'll die outside? Can I eat my peppers? lol

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I wanted an excuse to go to Petsart today. I'm off to get flubendezaol or fenbendazol. Seems the hydra are cute but dangerous, and the planaria are ugly but harmless. Isn't that always the way...
I read that mollies & blue gouramis (sp?) eat hydra - maybe I'll pick one of them up, too ; )

·
Registered
537 Posts
You can eat your peppers they'll be fine the worms will die in the soil as they are totally aquatic any dryness will kill them and they inturn will become fertilizer for the plants as well.

So water away. Eat and be merry ... we'll diet tomorrow. ;)

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol - Good, those peppers are lookin' tasty!
I just came back from Petsmart - the smallest box of dewormer with fenbendazole was $12.00! It better work on the planaria/hyrda for that cost!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was the powder. I tried to grind it up as much as possible, but still there were a lot of tiny chunks - and the fish did eat it. I'm happy to say the worms (that could be seen) all died. Some are still stuck to the glass and have never moved in several hours. The hydra that was on the glass I can't find - hoping it shriveled up & died. I used 1/2 of a 1 gram packet for 55 gallons. The fish sailed thru without skipping a beat. I ran my bubble wand for an hour or so, trying to stir up more critters. If I see more tomorrow I'll do another dose - but so far so good!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hey that's planarias.. and crown thingy is hydra.

I still cannot figure out how these planaria come about into a tank.

When I was starting out my PT, i did a fishless cycle... and in 2 weeks, they came. Very funny, since people keep saying it is due to overfeeding. Their qty is not that much, but I can see them on the glass wall.

After the cycling process is complete, I put an oto, some danios and tetras, and I have not seen ANY planaria ever. They mysteriously disappears. I haven't put any deworm products as well. Probably the good cycled water condition is not suitable for them (?), or something else(danios/oto are eating them off the walls?).

Anyway, now I am doing 30% WC weekly too.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, I put .5 grams in the 55g on day one and again on day two. Today is day three and I just put in a whole gram because when I turned the light on this morning, there were still some planaria on the glass. How long does it take? I am using the Safe-Guard brand fewormer with fenbendazole. I turn the bubbler on to circulate the powder (which I grind up as finely as possible & premoisten into a slurry). The fish and even the snails are doind fine prior to today's 1 gram does. How long should I wait before doing a water change - does the dewormer need time to sit in the water?
Thanks.
Trying to get a handle on this before it becomes like my pond snail problem - in the milky watre today I saw taht the the 'water spots" I thought were on the outside of my glass are actually speckles of snail eggs everywhere...time to start scooping the adults out with wilted lettuce...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.