The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
looks like that fish will become the next Endler's;
habitat gone, and up to hobbyists to breed them.
at least Galaxy will breed in captivity, maybe not
as fast as Endler's, but at least we can supply
the demand and take pressure off it's source.
considering how quickly the price dropped,
there must be wholesalers breeding them.
fortunately, as attractive as they are,
they are still very small, so only some
minority of tank keepers will want them.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Hm, wow.

Unless they start making laws, I don't see the trade slowing down any since they're still so expensive and the demand is still quite high for them. Supply and demand.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Remember it is our greed they are fueling, and many times these places are so ecconomically depressed that you cant blame people who live in poverty for selling fish to provide the bare necessities for their families.

Its really our fault for providing the demand. You can't blame the foreign governments for not placing laws to stop it, considering the other wories probably on thier table.

The good news is if we let each other know about it and make sure we only buy fish that are captive bred then the laws of supply and demand will protect them.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
That's a shame, but I can't say I'm too surprised. Nowadays, with the internet, ideas and "fads" get spread much more quickly, resulting in demand increasing very quickly. It's probably also attributed to the lack of captivity breeding, at least initially. People tend to swoop down on the newest trends or fads and gobble it up until its either gone or something else grabs their interest. I hope they leave the habitat alone, now that we know the grim situation. I'll never buy this fish unless I know it is bred in captivity.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hooray for marketing!
I do not like when people keep wild caught animals "for entertainment" and no need to breed them. It's just what I learned growing up. wild animals=wild pets="grown" by people
I hope something soo will curb this, it is just so sad a "new" animal will go extinct soon after being discovered. Reminds me of Stellers Sea Cow. Such a shame.
People (in charge) don't really seem to care enough about fish to stop things like this from happening because only $$$$ is what matters to their ideals. People would rather make a quick buck even ifit means their source will be exhausted and no longer profitable in a few years. This is rape and pillage and is nothing new, especially since rampant industrialization and commericialization.

cute little fishie.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, I wont be buying anymore and I will also ask my lfs to stop supplying them.
I love the ones I have and now I have a great reason to set up a tank just for them and to try to get them to breed. If successful, I will pass on the babies to those who want them.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
This is the evil side of our hobby. We may keep a species alive but they are extinct in the wild. Our greed is way higher than the environment can support.

This is why I refuse to buy rare species unless they come directly from a breeder.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Well, I wont be buying anymore and I will also ask my lfs to stop supplying them.
I love the ones I have and now I have a great reason to set up a tank just for them and to try to get them to breed. If successful, I will pass on the babies to those who want them.
Good deal. Glad to see current keepers getting the word. Let me know if your successful breeding them. Were planning a low tech shrimp farm setup so if there are any fry available please let me know. Were probably using the same water source for our tanks. :)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I must admit I was planning to get galaxies on April during my vacation.:hihi: But with the fish under threat, then I'll give up my plans. No sense getting them while under threat. Buying them just encourages the stores to demand more.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bereninga, several people have managed to breed them already.:smile: However the demand for wild-caught ones is still high. 'Tis time to start for F1 generations and ignore wild-caughts in their habitats.:icon_mrgr

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Well the least you can do is buy them for breeding, why not buy them and try breeding them? I mean, even if you don't buy them - I'm pretty sure someone else who is unaware of what is happening or couldn't care less will. It's much safer keeping the species's future in dedicated breeders' hands than with your regular hobbyists, IMO.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
because he was just saying that if you buy them, that just tells the LFS --- "oh hey, there's a demand for these fish. let me order a few dozen more". Multiply that by the hundreds or thousands of LFSs stocking these around the world...well, you get the idea.
If you want to buy them for breeding, buy them from another breeder.

·
Registered
234 Posts
i feel bad that we have 100 of these at work now:(

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
But if you (concerned customer) doesn't buy them, someone else (could care less) will. How is that solving the problem when they are still in demand? Either way they will get sold.

·
Registered
234 Posts
we havent been sellin them great. common! a) the customers want them sexed! a little frustrating to say the least.b) 5.99 each, good price for the fish. EXPENSIVE FOR A MICRO THING.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good deal. Glad to see current keepers getting the word. Let me know if your successful breeding them. Were planning a low tech shrimp farm setup so if there are any fry available please let me know. Were probably using the same water source for our tanks. :)
Manteca has been mixing surface and ground water for a couple years now, not sure if Tracy is or not. Anyway, I would be happy to pass some fry on to you if I'm successful. I'm going to Tropical Haven today to look at a tank for breeding and to talk about the status of the Galaxy Rasbora with the owners if their there.

Frank

1 - 20 of 37 Posts