The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just rescaped my 10gal tank with java ferns, java moss and fluval stratum sub...I am using two hob filters (1 from the old tank before the rescape) to seed the tank along with some black skirt and harlequinn fish. I do have a few questions before I add the shrimp

Looking to add red cherry shrimp to start

1) How long should I wait before I add shrimp?
2) How many should I start with?
3) Do I wait for the java fern and moss to develp a bit of algae (the tank is low tech, no co2, 13W CFL on for 6-8 hrs, minimal fertilizers.

If you can give me any other tips that would be great, this is my first tank that will house the shrimp....picture below!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Dont worry too much about your cherry shrimp. For sure add as much moss as you can but any plants help. You dont need any algae at all. Make sure that your shrimp are getting some type of food, preferably veggies. I recommend frequent water changes as shrimp are sensitive to nitrates but cherries are very tough compared to the others.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats perfect! that picture is before I added the java moss as a ground cover (i used a mesh, folded it and placed the java moss in between and anchored it to the sub)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh...how many do i start with? anything else I should add to the tank (the middle to right side of the tank has nothing except the java moss and a few (6) baby java ferns just starting

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok perfect...I just noticed that there is some snall (very very tiny) snails in the java moss container that I purchased from my lfs....will the shrimp eat these...or will the blackskirt and harlequinns nibble at them? Best way to keep them in control or eliminate them?

·
Registered
563 Posts
ok perfect...I just noticed that there is some snall (very very tiny) snails in the java moss container that I purchased from my lfs....will the shrimp eat these...or will the blackskirt and harlequinns nibble at them? Best way to keep them in control or eliminate them?
dont put them in and remove any you can that are already in there.....unless of course you want an amry of them swarming your glass lol. shrimp wont eat them, and the fish likely wont either. if there's already LOTS in the tank you can bait them in a diy snail trap to get large numbers out. there a topic on it somewhere in the DIY section I believe.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dont put them in and remove any you can that are already in there.....unless of course you want an amry of them swarming your glass lol. shrimp wont eat them, and the fish likely wont either. if there's already LOTS in the tank you can bait them in a diy snail trap to get large numbers out. there a topic on it somewhere in the DIY section I believe.
They are so small I can hardly even see if there is any in the tank....Its in the empty java moss cup....so unfortantly the java moss is in the tank...to be honest I didnt see the snails in the small cup when I added the moss....any suggestions in case tehre is some in the tank?

·
Registered
563 Posts
toss a piece of zucchini or similar veg in there before lights go out, then wait and turn em back on, if there are snails in there, you'll likely see them going for the veg....just a random idea though.

as far as rcs numbers, id go with at least 15ish, i've had 7 rcs and 2 pfr's for months and still no berries.

·
Registered
563 Posts
cant guarantee it but it'll be effective, i had success using similar method with zuc on a wooden skewer (snap the end so it holds it in place) and yanking it when the snails are on the zuc. works better when lights are out as they seem to feed more so at night. good luck

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what about using a copper based product (ich treatment)....there is no shrimp in there atm...just worried about how they would tolerate being added to the tank in 2-3 weeks

·
Registered
952 Posts
Dont use copper if you ever plan on adding shrimp unless you are using a product like seachems cuprisorb. Even then it is not safe. Before you add plants in make sure you clean them off in your sink or in a bucket of water. Just rub the leafs off to remove all snails and eggs. The eggs will only come off if you rub them off.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
In a planted tank for shrimp the snails are going to be slightly annoying but are unlikely to actually hurt anything.

Just keep that in mind before you go too crazy trying to get rid of them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.