The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I blew my light fixture and filter. I ha my filter in the surge protector and the light directly into the wall. I don't know how lights work, don't know if I can have them fix a part? If I should try bulbs or if it's worthless and I should order new one?

·
Registered
754 Posts
If your unit has the individual reflectors I would say it's worth repairing it. If a new bulb doesn't do the trick or if you had a spare one then most likley your ballast went.

I don't know if it's a surge or it just went. It seems common for these things to go out and knock on wood, my CurrentUSA refurbished 4x39W is still going.

Is it a 2 or 4 bulb fixture or more? I think it's 1 ballast for 1 lights if there isn't a seperate power switch.

Also I have an old Nova Extreme 4x39w w. one reflector I got for $20 that has 1 bad ballast, even disassembling it is a pain and I still haven't removed enough to see the ballast yet.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 2 bulb individual reflector. I paid like 120 or 100 for it. I really love the light. But don't know how my plants will react. I also don't know why my filter isnt working. All the electronics or almost all work but with limited power its as if every light in te house living room kitchen bedroom etc is on half power. I don't know If this is like a wattage issue an everything will turn on later or if i should order a new light? Just as back up?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Sounds like you dont have full power to the house. you might want to address that issue before worrying about the light fixture. It's possible the ballast needs full power to work.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I will say that with minor retrofitting, you can almost always replace a ballast for T5 bulbs. You do need to match the ballast to the bulbs to be used, and wire it correctly, but it's not difficult.

Replacement ballasts are often better than the originals.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thinking of buying an led light I have read all kinds of bashing threads about this light. Should I give it a try for 90 dollars until I fix the old t5? Then I can run both, in the future.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Thinking of buying an led light I have read all kinds of bashing threads about this light. Should I give it a try for 90 dollars until I fix the old t5? Then I can run both, in the future.
which one.. there's beginning to be a lot of LED's on the market... most are aimed at saltwater.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
if it is dead, you can always replace the ballast with a workhorse or something if your handy with wiring, its not difficult at all. soldering helps a lot if you know how. I redid my odyssea 4x24 with a workhorse 7 ballast for $35 and its definitely putting out more light then the stock ballasts did. Had to completely rewire the fixture though too as the bulbs weren't wired for an electronic ballast in that fixture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.