The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been away from the planted tank scene for a while now and would like to get my tank up and going again. Currently I'm using Cheapo Jebo and it is dying fast. Through some reading I see that Nova T5 or AH supply seem to be the way to go. I'm leaning toward the Nova since I want an open tank. It look like AH reflector is more superior? Any Nova Extreme owner here willing to share how good is the Nova reflector? Also would the 4x nova be too little for a 75 G? 4 x 54 = ~2.8 WPG. I am trying to get 3.5+, which mean I probaly need to go with the 8x and only run 5 or 6 bulbs. I would really like to some opinion as I don't want to regret after spending ~500 bucks on lightning.

Also I do plan to upgrade in to 90G (I like tall tank now), but not now since I know I'll be moving again in couple of years.

*Edit*

Oh man so many choices, what about teklight? are they better than nova?

Thanks all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to bother you guy once more.

What bulbs configuration do you think is best? I have the following choices:
I plan to buy the 6x Tek Light T5.

"6500 or 3000 deg K or even mix for full spectrum effect" or

1. D-D Giesemann Blue Actinic Plus or Blue: $6.00 per lamp
2. D-D Giesemann Midday: $6.00 per lamp
3. D-D Giesemann Aquablue: $8.00 per lamp
4. D-D Giesemann Pure Actinic Plus or True Actinic $10.00 per lamp


Most of my plants are dead now after the cheapo jebo died, i'm going to have to buy all the plants again, but I like to grow glosso and other nice carpet plants together with some red colored plants. don't know if that would factor in bulbs selection decisions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Hrm how to ask this...

Would one 48" Tek 4 bulb version (216w) for a 75 gallon tank provide enough umph or shall we say 'room to grow for me, n00bie planter'?

Later on, am I going to be wishing I bought a 6 bulb version?

Here is what I am considering: http://www.specialty-lights.com/960035.html

I am getting back into the hobby. In my earlier years I was never able to keep and grow plants. I have been lurking and reading and looking for deals at LFS/online for items.

Budget wise I can afford to get 1 part a month varying on cost. Lighting being the largest expense I am looking to get it out of the way and the rest is downhill from there.

I am willing to shell out for the Tek (to a degree, hence the question), I like the look, they seem to be solid performer and look awesome (Low profile on tank).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
/nods *scribbles note to self to save 2 months for lights in budget*

Okiee! :proud: That's the feedback I needed. I keep reading about people going back and fixing mistakes then spending more money doing so. Trying to get what I can right from the get go. *






* bwahahahahaha who am I kidding I will screw up at some point, it's just a matter of when :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
I ordered too. Got the legs and the cover, figured it would be better to have than want later and have to hunt for it online and pay shipping (Shipping that would cost nearly what the cover cost me now anyways!).

/wanders off to substrate forum
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,199 Posts
4x54 watt Tek is plenty. I only run 2 lamps 65% of the time and 4 lamps the other 35% midday. And that is a 10 hour photoperiod. 6x54 with Tek parabolic reflectors is pretty much overkill IMO, though some run it. If running 6x54 your ferts and CO2 better be spot on, or its an algae invite.

I keep my 4x54 watts a good 8 inches above waterline on a 24" tall 90 gallon. Just my .02 cents.

Forgot to add, most guys like a combo of half 10000K and half 6500 or 6700K. The Current USA seem like pretty decent tubes and I like their 6700K better than the GE Starcoat 6500K.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,199 Posts
Forgot to add, you can save some money by getting the acrylic shield cut at a local glass shop, if you are trying to save some. And I highly recommend the Griplock hanger system over the legs, if you can screw into some joists in a ceiling. Its a heavy light at ~60 lbs or so so you want to be in ceiling joists, not just sheetrock. That hanger system looks very clean and makes raising lowering the light a breeze.

FWIW, I love MH, but the T5s run much cooler and will save you money on replacement lamps and elec. bills. Especially if you go 216 watts.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top