The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is just because I've been spending more time here lately or if I just didn't notice it before. It seems like Insults and unnecessary comments are becoming more frequent. People that spend a whole lot of time here aren't showing support to the site. Newer members don't seem to know what the search function is or how to read a sticky. (I've been guilty of this myself)
I absolutely love this site and If I could afford to give more I would. I respect everyone here whether they deserve it or not, until they prove to me that they don't deserve it. Yes I know I'm a bit backwards because most people I know don't show respect until you earn it. I really appreciate everyone here that has been kind enough to share in their experiences and are willing to lend a helping hand or a kind word when needed. Honestly this is the only site I have ever paid to be a member of and I'm very proud to be part of the community.
Sorry about the rant.
lil

If you can't way anything nice don't say anything at all.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
The Swap n Shop board is a complete joke now.
How so, Burks?

Let me know here or via PM, whichever you prefer. I'd be happy to listen to why you think so and look to make improvements if they are merited.

Mike

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
Another thought on the subject BGG, if you find a post offensive you have the ability to alert the administration and the entire moderating staff by hitting the little "!" in the triangle icon under your user name and avatar. It will tell us exactly which post you find offensive and will provide you with the opportunity to tell us why you find it offensive.

Mike

·
Registered
974 Posts
Jason - agreed.

lil - I've noticed that too. It seems like a small group of frequent posters who are the major offenders. Thankfully they've been called out on it on some occasions, unfortunately it hasn't deterred them much. I'm getting ready to start using the 'ignore' feature on the site.

The sad thing is it affects new people who come on to the site. Am I saying that new people shouldn't use the 'search' feature or read the stickies? No, but instead of getting an obnoxious reply, a courteous one with suggestions on how to do these things would be more productive.

my 2 cents....

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
How so, Burks?

Mike
When someone is trying to sell something another person jumps in, who has no reason to be in the conversation, to basically screw the seller over by pointing out a cheaper place. Isn't that the responsibility of the buyer and not someone who has nothing to do with selling/buying?

Crap like that killed a few other boards (not fish related) because every topic had "well I can sell it cheaper" or "buy it here cheaper".

Some people here should just be professional shoppers for the celebrities, they do a pretty damn good job of shopping for others.

If a seller or buyer is asking for help then posts like that are fine. But screwing a seller over isn't.

·
Registered
381 Posts
hey guys...me being still somewhat a newbie on here, I have thought the same things. I did not say anything, because I was new to the forum, and really did not feel it was my place. This forum has the potential to be great. There are a lot of great people on here, and the few that seem to think "it is my way or the highway" needs to rethink what they are doing. I have really become bored with all the debates that go one here, and I don't visit very often anymore because of all the "pissing" matches.

Blueguppygirl has it right...respect others! If you have an opinion, then post it, but be nice about it!...as in the SnS, if you know something can be found cheaper, then PM that person!

Good Grief! It feels like a bunch of children are running this forum! Do everyone a favor and Grow UP!

I do apologize if I have stepped on anyones toes. That was not my intention, but I feel now that you all need to know how us newcomers feel.
Suzie Q

·
Registered
408 Posts
Here's another opinion from a newbie.

I love this forum. I can't speak for what it was like in the past, but my limited experience here has been nothing but positive. I've gotten some great info, magnificant deals from the SnS board, and am learning a ton from the experiences of others. I agree that there seems to be quite a few snarky comments here and there, but nothing I'm not used to. I mod on a 3000+ member fish board, and trust me, when a lot of your members truly ARE children, it's much different. I like this forum because in spite of the snarkiness, it doesn't seem as "policed" as some other forums I post on. Personally I find it refreshing that if someone does get nasty, the members call them on it without the mods having to step in and put everyone in a time out.

JMHO

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Another thought on the subject BGG, if you find a post offensive you have the ability to alert the administration and the entire moderating staff by hitting the little "!" in the triangle icon under your user name and avatar. It will tell us exactly which post you find offensive and will provide you with the opportunity to tell us why you find it offensive.

Mike
Here arfe two threads:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/swap-n-shop/42977-brine-shrimp-2.html - Not sure why this was closed. Punishing the seller because other members think his product is not good?

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/s...freshwater-master-test-kit.html?highlight=API

·
Registered
673 Posts
Momotaro

just take a look at my post on API Test kit recently.

Burks hit the point right on the money.

In general, I believe people are great in this forum but there are the fews in between that ruin for everybody else. Is like that Fake RAOK, I can not believe it generated so many replies. I do not visit this forum as I feel the forum has lost its original purpose. Regards, JC.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Very good point Pedro , saw this and it makes me want to just quit coming here its not like the kid was doing anything wrong it seemed as though he was just trying to make some money the way he could to most likely help fund his hobby and a bunch of jackasses had to jump all over him and it was completely uncalled for. People around here need to learn some respect! I have noticed some people around here ( not going to mention names ) have nothing but negative to put out 8 out of 10 posts and its really annoying and really not something I would expect from planted tank board but I guess that is the difference between this one and others, I don't know but I don't see this on other boards. If you don't like someones for sale thread don't bash him just don't buy what they have to offer. There is a difference between criticism and constructive criticism. People need to realize these "kids" are the future of the hobby and if you turn them off to it then it will just die off, instead of bashing people try and help them not put them down and make them feel stupid about the questions they are asking, or if you can't seem to find a way to do that there is this thing called the "back" button use it and quit showing how much of an ass you really are.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Here's another opinion from a newbie.

I love this forum. I can't speak for what it was like in the past, but my limited experience here has been nothing but positive. I've gotten some great info, magnificant deals from the SnS board, and am learning a ton from the experiences of others. I agree that there seems to be quite a few snarky comments here and there, but nothing I'm not used to. I mod on a 3000+ member fish board, and trust me, when a lot of your members truly ARE children, it's much different. I like this forum because in spite of the snarkiness, it doesn't seem as "policed" as some other forums I post on. Personally I find it refreshing that if someone does get nasty, the members call them on it without the mods having to step in and put everyone in a time out.

JMHO

This forum HAS helped me a lot...if I came off as it has not, then I apologize again. I am 35, and so I concider myself an "older" adult. I have just now gotten into planted tanks and have asked a lot of dumb questions, that have been answered with a lot of info...for that I am greatful. I just think that the "younger" adults on here that are a little harsh need to tone it down a little. I was taught to respect others even if I did not think they deserved it. I post on another forum, and when a "newbie" posts a question, and I think "DUH", I take a long time to figure out a way to answer the question w/o making that person feel "stupid". Maybe I am an old fuddyduddy, but I don't like it when someone belittles another person! If you have a problem, try to work it out in private.
That is my opinion...again sorry if any toes got stepped on.
Suzie Q

·
Registered
408 Posts
Oh I wasn't disagreeing with you, Suzie Q. Just giving a perspective from another newbie. Yes, I'm an "older" adult as well (*sigh*) and I guess I'm used to the bickering, so maybe I've become desensitized to it or something. I do agree that belittling someone is harsh, and a great way to lose that member. I've not seen the selling comments, other than the Test Kit one, and I agree, some of those posts were totally unnecessary. I guess I'm getting crotchety in my old age. I just mumble expletives at them and move on. ;)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you so much everyone for your replies, I wan't really expecting any I just felt the need to rant for some reason.
Thanks momo for reminding me I can alert the mods about offending posts. I'm not a snitch and I really don't like using the ignore feature, I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but if it's not going to help anything by expressing it then please keep it to yourself. If I've offended anyone by starting this thread then I apologize but then again I am just sharing my opinion. I am really grateful for everyone that has been so very kind and generous. I've learned more about my tanks here than anywhere else thanks to all of the wonderful people here. Especially those that share their failures so that we all may learn from them. This is the most civilized and welcoming (not to mention informative) forum I've ever been to and I would like it to stay that way.
It's nice to see that I'm not the only one that's noticed these things. Thank you again EVERYONE.
lil

·
Registered
381 Posts
Oh I wasn't disagreeing with you, Suzie Q. Just giving a perspective from another newbie. Yes, I'm an "older" adult as well (*sigh*) and I guess I'm used to the bickering, so maybe I've become desensitized to it or something. I do agree that belittling someone is harsh, and a great way to lose that member. I've not seen the selling comments, other than the Test Kit one, and I agree, some of those posts were totally unnecessary. I guess I'm getting crotchety in my old age. I just mumble expletives at them and move on. ;)
*takes foot out of mouth* :biggrin:
I am REALLY new to forums...I think I joined my first in August or September '06! I had always been "afraid" of "chatting" on the internet...Several female friends left husbands for someone online...needless to say it did not work out for them...(sorry offsubject)...The first one I joined was Yahoo (don't get me started)...Then I joined a few others...I found this one, and really liked it. It just seems here lately that every thread becomes a debate!...IE "Fake RAOK" OMG! (Not going there either).
There is a lot of helpful people. I just think we need to show a little more respect for others. Maybe after this thread ends, there will be a little less debating and pissing matches. I hope so...I just planted my first tank:biggrin: .

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
When someone is trying to sell something another person jumps in, who has no reason to be in the conversation, to basically screw the seller over by pointing out a cheaper place. Isn't that the responsibility of the buyer and not someone who has nothing to do with selling/buying?

Crap like that killed a few other boards (not fish related) because every topic had "well I can sell it cheaper" or "buy it here cheaper".

Some people here should just be professional shoppers for the celebrities, they do a pretty damn good job of shopping for others.

If a seller or buyer is asking for help then posts like that are fine. But screwing a seller over isn't.
Isn't pointing out that a seller something used for more then what it can be gotten for new a benificial thing for the potential buyers?
What kind of service is the seller doing the community if they are offering used equip at a hiked price to unsuspecting buyers?

Personally If I'm looking at something and show interest and someone is kind enough to chime in and make me aware that I am getting taken for a ride. I'm going to be very greatfull.
Not everyone is as net savy as each other. And altho you may be aware of a great outlet for stuff online I may not be even tho I had searched. And It is of great benifit to share this kind of info.
If not in the actual thread I'd hope to receive a PM from someone letting me know whats up.

As for people being rude.. I don't know. this forum is kinda tame compared to some that I visit. So I really don't see a whole lot of rudeness. But people who have barked rudeness at me in the past got an earfull. I guess I've grown a thick skin over the many years of net life.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
Few things:

I agree on the jumping in when someone is trying to sell something. Extemporaneous, digressive comments are really, really annoying. People undercutting or pointing out other sources, while they believe they are being helpful, tend to hurt the "For sale" poster. I think the admin and moderating staff should discuss that topic and see if and how it can be addressed.

What can you do in the meantime?

Instead of stewing over a problem, let us know. Don't be afraid to hit the "Report Post" button. That is what it is there for. Like I said, it alerts all of us and provides members with the opportunity to tell the staff why the message is offensive or inappropriate.

You can PM the forum staff when you encounter a problem as well. Gee whiz, people are quick and able to PM me to tell me how big a jerk I am, they can also PM me to alert me to something they view as a problem.

I don't understand the visceral "I see that and I don't want to come back" reaction. I mean, in reality, it is really, really annoying, but what can you do? We can try and set up a set of rules, but short of moderating every post before it is submitted to the forum thread, things like that are going to happen.

How can you fight human nature? Some people are thoughtful, other people are rude. Some people are selfish, some are generous. Some people can keep their mouth's shut others can't. You cannot control what people are going to write. The only thing you can control is how you react to it. If you feel completely disgusted and don't want to come to PT, thats fine (no one can control that either).

If you look at posts or threads you deem dopey and laugh and shake your head, Great! If you shake your head and hit the "report post" button, that is great as well. I will tell those who do react by not only not visiting PT that much and need to tell everyone, that no matter where you go, you will encounter the same thing. I have read some really nasty, drag 'em outs over at APC and had seen them on AB in the past. It is just the way people are and it is unavoidable. Anywhere there is a forum with human beings participating there will be such squabbles.

As for kids, yep, we have a lot of them here. You MUST always keep that in mind when participating or posting on any online forum.

The majority of the kids here on PT are good kids. The kids participate in an intelligent, polite manner. They are eager to learn and eager to pass on what they have learned. When one of them is involved in an altercation (for lack of a better term), odds are youth probably played a role in it. They may feel otherwise, but so did we so-called adults when we were at that age. :icon_wink As they get older they will get wiser and to me it is fun to watch the process.

I wrote this in another, older thread and I still think it is relevant:

Myself said:
Perhaps we should start a new thread for the new year? One in which people pledge to be a little kinder around here. They will read and respond with more patience. People will treat each other with more respect. They'll be slow to feel the need to poke fun of something, yet quick to offer help or a productive suggestion. Promise to clean up their language a little more. Fewer allusions to swearing and acronyms that include curse words. People would just be more tolerant of each other and their opinions.

Who would make such a pledge?
Any volunteers?

Mike

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
What kind of service is the seller doing the community if they are offering used equip at a hiked price to unsuspecting buyers?
That's the buyer's responsibility to know what is priced high and what isn't.

Do you see people at car lots saying "you know you can get that down the street cheaper" all the time? Just hanging around? No. How about Wal-Mart checking your cart to make sure you aren't overpaying? Nope.

If people want to sell their stuff at a higher rate, let them. If it doesn't sell then maybe they'll get the point.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I think sometimes the person pointing out the high price or whatever has good intentions. They might not be construed by the selling party as such as they are counterproductive to the sale. So the seller casts a stone and the person with original good intentions thinks " hey I am trying to be righteous and prevent someone from paying too much for this item". Things tend to go downhill from there.
If it is the desire of membership to limit this then couldn't it be setup so that posts in sales forum are limited to the original poster. Sales are usually handled by PM anyway so why not? Then no one could comment good or bad.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts