The Planted Tank Forum banner

Not sure what to dose - High tech 6.2G

1485 7
Is this all i need to dose for a high tech 6.2G?

DIY EI Liquid Fertilizer| Premium Aquarium Fertilizer | NilocG Aquatics

I am only dosing excel at the moment
(Should I look into a pressurized system?)

Lighting: Planted+ Finnex 16" fixture (I have a shallow tank it's pretty close to my substrate)
Substrate: 5 ADA additives / amazonia soil / power sand
(Should I look into raising my fixture)

The tank has been going for two weeks now and my monte carlo is browning and dying out (I just added my light fixture yesterday, so they were going off a cheap LED light that the tank came with).
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Thank you for helping me out

So what about CO2 - Dosing excel is sufficient right?
Glad I could help. It seems an error snuck in. The first sentence is correct, the second is not. I corrected it in the original post but just to be clear and transparent:

Excel DOES NOT provide enough C for plants which are not limited in their growth rate by other factors.

Overdosing excel is a personal decision and you take the risk to kill fauna and burn flora. When plants are limited in their growth by something else eg light, chlorophyll production ( Fe, N, Mg) or other nutrients, the demand for CO2 is lowered. In order to avoid algae, plant growth should be limited by light and not by any other nutrient, including CO2. So you need a source of CO2, excel will not be enough under high light and EI.

Hope this clarifies things.

Regards,
duky

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate your response because I needed the clarification.

What if I raised the lights I have with some sort of stand? Would that help me go back to low-tech?

I spent nearly $15 on Monte Carlo and it sucks seeing them dying out.

I wouldn't mind spending money on a pressurized CO2 system but for a nano tank it doesn't really tickle my fancy.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Raising the lights would help. If that is difficult adding a mesh screed between the light and aquarium will also lower the light reaching the plants... Think of how much a mesh screen in the window lowers the light levels in the room

One trick to keep plants alive even if your aquarium conditions is not good for them is to grow them emersed in a pot and maintain ~100% air humidity. It does not work with all the plants but montecarlo adapts easily

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.