The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I've been a lurker around here for quite some time. I've learned a lot from these forums. This is my first post, and I hope you guys can help.

I have this weird growth coming only from my driftwood. I've only noticed it in the past two months. It grows, but it is a fairly slow grower. I've looked at different algae guides, and I can't seem to come up with what it is exactly. My guess is it is BBA. It is weird from the BBA I've had before though. It is not soft at all. It isn't difficult to remove at all. It is way harder than BBA, and it seems to "snap" off instead of me having to brush it off. It also turns white towards the tips.

The tank is no ferts with co2. The only other sign of algae is some GSA on a couple of anubias leaves. Lighting period is only about and a half hours. It gets about another 2 hours of dim sunlight. I hope you guys can help.

Bump: not sure why the pic is upside down. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is store bought. I am not familiar with that in a planted tank. I'm as new as can be in the hobby. Lol. I have to do some research. Do you know if it is harmful to the fauna or plants in any way?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Dgr8t1DTP,

it is definitely a fungus, the spores of which were probably on your driftwood when you purchased it.

There is not much to worry about, in general fungi are harmless to the fauna and plants in the aquarium, since the feed on decaying (dead) plant material, mostly cellulose. They will disappear eventually, when they run out of nutrients.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dgr8t1DTP,

it is definitely a fungus, the spores of which were probably on your driftwood when you purchased it.

There is not much to worry about, in general fungi are harmless to the fauna and plants in the aquarium, since the feed on decaying (dead) plant material, mostly cellulose. They will disappear eventually, when they run out of nutrients.
thank you so much. Google turned up nothing for me. I really appreciate your feedback. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.