The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have trouble with a type of algae (see attached pics) and I'm not sure what is wrong with my setup.

Tank size: 95G tank, 50cm high
Light: Two T5 tubes (54w each). One is 4100K and the other is 9000K
Light duration: On for 8hrs. For the past week I've tried reducing to only 6hrs, but I didn't see a difference
Ferts: EasyLife Profito (Weekly)
Pressurized CO2: NO
Liquid CO2: EasyLife Easy Carbo (Daily)

I do a weekly 40% water change.

The only plants I have are Java fern, Anubias and Crypts. So i'm after a low light setup.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I would continue to use it but maybe at half doses like the carb.
I have a shorter tank/w the same amount of light and just a few more plants.
So I think you don't have enough plants to use up all those ferts.
What may also help is splitting the light with 1-2 hrs of no light near the center of all of it. I was using 7.5 hrs but went to 6.75 to cut the algae.
And it does take time for this to work. How about a picture of the whole tank ?
Suggestion only: The next time you buy bulbs, try a True lumen "Flora" from Doctors Foster & Smith($10). Other companies sell a true Lumen Flora pink and I don't think it's the same bulb. Amazing better color from that bulb.
In the picture it looks like a pink bulb but it looks white when lit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try a 2 or 3 day blackout. Your fish and plants will be fine but it should set the algae back. You could also put your liquid carbon in a syringe and spray it directly on to the algae

Tapatalk Note 3

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It looks like you have all low light plants. The Java Fern, anubias and Crypts are for sure. If your light fixture has a pretty good reflector or reflectors, you have high light, which isn't necessary for those plants. Also, notice that the algae, if it is algae, is growing mostly in the top half of the tank, where the light intensity is the highest.

What light fixture are you using, and how high is it above the tank? Do you have a photo or photos of the tank showing the light fixture too? And, do you have a photo of the light fixture showing the reflectors and bulbs?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.