The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have no idea if anyone here keeps saltwater aquariums but I have a brackish setup now that I'll be turning over to salt soon, I keep 3 monos 2 Scats and 2 Colombian sharks. I'm just wondering if my canister and hob can run the tank or will I need a a protine skimmer wave maker etc. I'm not planning to keep any corals in this tank but I might add some live rock to help the water quality and to use in the scaping of the tank. Is this a good or bad idea using live rock in this setup? Also the wave maker wouldn't be a problem it's just a thing I'm wondering if I need or not same as the protine skimmer also are their any cool salt tolerant plants I could put in saltwater I know Java ferns and Java moss could go in the brackish but are their any strictly for saltwater?

·
Registered
167 Posts
You shouldn't need a protein skimmer or wave maker unless you plan on corals. There are a lot of salt water plants you can try and algaes. Typically, canisters aren't used in salt but if you're just going with your fish you should be ok. What size is your tank? The fish you have get gigantic in salt water.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Most salt water tanks don't have much in the way of plants. Not that there are none. But most are macro algaes. Been in saltwater for 8 years now and you will want current makers to help keep nutrients from settling and a protein skimmer can help with nitrate control. Is it needed? No but regular water changes would be your only nutrient removal tool than. Unless you pack the tank with different macro algaes. As far as your fish I have no idea as they are not commonly kept in saltwater. But if you slowly raise the salinity and allow them to adjust you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@_alex_ thanks for the response it was very helpful!!! Also I'm doing this tank on a budget so I will have no sump will this be ok with saltwater I read canisters were fine but now I'm second guessing myself? When trying to research this the points you've made came across frequently as well as some owners stating the fish apriciate the current so I think I'll pick up the gear if I can find if for the price I'm looking for it might just be a minute or two before I get the skimmer but their fine in their brackish tank for now and really theirs no "seaweed" type plant I could try along with some nice green hair algae on I could grow the rock? I was really enjoying the mental image I made of this tank when thinking out the aqua scape also to the other user who commented I have them in a 75 gallon aquarium now but I wish to move them to a 125 or something along those lines when larger no less then a 6ft tank, I have 2 180's currently but they are being used I've been thinking and I may rehome the Sharks if I find the right place for them my monos and Scats are the reason I got the tank I just read Colombian sharks did well as tank mates and felt bad for these guys being kept in fresh water at the LFS in such bad health (they just came in). I'd love to pick up something like a spotted grouper for my tank once I go full marine or something else monstrous for the tank to just kinda roam around and be the boss but these guys get to big for even me to attempt to house. Maybe something else cool I'm alittle lost on weather or not these guys have to go marine or not because if not I would like a archer fish when they go in a bigger tank but I feel like they couldn't take the salt and that's what's more natural for my current stock? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
108 Posts
There is sea grass but it is not the easiest to keep. And green hair algae isn't usually considering nice in the saltwater hobby lol. But some fish do eat it.

If your doing a 6ft tank you might as well add a sump. You have more than enough room under the tank and you can get overflow kits fairly reasonable priced. And just get a $1 gal tank from petco for a sump. 55g or 40b are great sumps. I would take your time and buy the right pieces at start than do it on the cheap cheap and wish had changed it later.

Here is a shot of our 120 salt. Nothing to amazing at the moment as suffered a big crash last year and lost a lot of coral. Just swapped in this new 40b sump in place of a 20long.

Sorry about wiring mess. Haven't got a chance to finish organizing

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool that's a nice set up. I just realized you were trying to help me on another thread as well about a nano tank I'm actually doing both but I'm just getting into saltwater. These fish actually transition from low brackish to full marine in the wild but many pet stores and individuals who keep them beleive they are "freshwater fish" and I didn't want to go the cheap route I just figured for a fish and live rock only tank I could get away with a canister and one or two large HOB filters

·
Registered
108 Posts
For a 10 gal yes. Anything up over 75 gal I would suggest s sump and all that. Just my opinion. And the problem with just a fish and rock tank at some point if you decide to keep corals you'll spend a lot more fixing everything you could do now. A sump and overflows is fairly easy and pumps cans be had for price of the 2 hob filters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.