The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really happy with the current look of my tank. I think its the lighting that I am not happy with. Here's the problem. I see fish in the shops that look really good. I'm really into the silvery, bright, shiny fish like Balas, Silver Dollars and Tinfoils. But I bought three Balas and...they don't look nearly as good in my tank as they did at the fish shop. The light doesn't seem to bounce off of them the way it did at the shop. Before that, I bought five mollies, 2 black and 3 white/silver but they also look dull compared to the brilliantly colored mollies that caught my eye in the shop. I don't know if its my substrate, my lighting, my background or what. I am hesitant to buy the cool Silver Dollars and Tinfoils that I like because they also probably won't look as good in my tank either.

So, here is what my tank consists of:

-55 Gallon
-"Natural" colored gravel pebbles (mostly light and tan with some brown pebbles)
-Recently added Black background (slightly improved colors in tank but not much)
-5 or 6 small plants, mostly grass
-A couple pieces of driftwood
-Some slate that I've recently added

btw, I know I will need a larger tank for my Balas eventually, right now they're just 2-3 inches.
I'm sorta noobish at this stuff so thank you for your help.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I would hesitate to buy the Tinfoils and Silver Dollars. Both get much to large for a 55 gallon tank. Silver Dollars will eat your plants.

What kind of lighting do you have?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks your your tips on the fish selection, Rex.

Here is the info on my lighting:

My two 24" light fixtures say:

ALL-GLASS AQUARIUM., INC.
24" Flourescent Aquarium Reflector
120volt 19watt 60hz

and my bulbs:

ALL-GLASS AQUARIUM 15w bulbs

thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
one of the reasons they dont look the same is becuse most fish stores do a 50% waterchage on there tanks daily. thats the reason why when you look at there fish in the sale tanks they look like there very clean.

i wouldnt even think about puting a baby tinfoilbarb in any tank less than 150g.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Regardless of fish they are stressed through transport so they need to settle in. Also if you tank is set up identically to that of the LFS then that's when you need to worry about the fish's colors but if not then the fish is just adapting to it's new enviroment, maybe change the substrate or have the water params close to what they are ideally in the wild.

The lighting is a factor too, different lighting spectrum brings out different colors so you need to find one that works for you.

post some water param measurements, maybe your water quality is not suitable or ideal for the fish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My water parameters are the best they've ever been.

Nitrate 20ppm
Nitrite .25 or lower
GH 300
KH 100-125
PH 7.0
Ammonia between .025 and 0

Basically, I just want the colors of my tank contents and my fish to be more vivid and brilliant looking. Aquarium Boy makes a good point, if the fish shops do 50% changes everyday, that explains alot.

I am considering changing my substrate to black, what do you all think?
I also am open to any and all lighting suggestions! Is there like a guide somewhere with pictures to tell me what different types of lighting will make my tank look like? I am willing to spend some money to get a really nice lighting effect in my tank to show off colors and silvers more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts