The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I've been doing some reading up on certain deficiencies because of melting and yellowing leaves. My tank is heavily stocked and I would 't be surprised if they've sucked up every last trace of nutrient in the tank. I dose Flourish twice a week and Flourish Excel every day. I'm 4 weeks in and my hair grass hasn't taken off like the other plants, leading me to believe I don't have enough lighting for my 20 gallon tank. I have a pretty good Aqueon light with one 6700k and one a color bulb, both at 14 watts per bulb giving me a total of 1.4 WPG. That's not 3 WPG like recommended, but I'm wondering if it's enough because it's really close to the plants? I also have green water and a bit of algae so it also brings me to this conclusion. If this isn't enough light I would like to upgrade before starting to dose with Potassium, Nirtate, etc. Also CO2 now, or after the light increase if necessary? Any help is extremely appreciated because I'm frantic at the moment. Thanks in advance guys! :D

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You have about 25 PAR light intensity at the substrate with that light fixture. That is low light, near the minimum required for most plants. I doubt that hairgrass will grow at all well with that light. I'm assuming your tank is about 16 inches high, 24 inches long. This light would work much better: http://www.fishneedit.com/t5ho-24quot-2-lamp-aquarium-l.html and it would give you around 40 PAR light intensity at the substrate.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts