The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been adding seachem flourish and potassium supplements to my 60g tank as per directed on the bottles,but i have been reading that they should be dosed daily.would like some feedback on what other people do.and dont tell me to read your guide Mr.grigg.thanks

·
Registered
680 Posts
I use Greg Watson's dry ferts, so can't comment directly on Seachem's. Their guidelines are usually fairly accurate, you can always adjust as needed later on. If all you're adding is potassium, you will have problems, as you also need nitrate, and phosphate along with the micros (Flourish).

Check out the EI sticky in the fert forum for dosing guidelines with dry ferts.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If all you're dosing is Flourish and Potassium you're only making micros, trace elements, available to the plants unless you have a very heavy fish load. Without macros, NPK, it's like trying to live on a diet of vitamins as opposed to having some actual food.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
i have been adding seachem flourish and potassium supplements to my 60g tank as per directed on the bottles,but i have been reading that they should be dosed daily.would like some feedback on what other people do.and dont tell me to read your guide Mr.grigg.thanks
What kind of lighting and co2 do you have? What is your fish and plant load like? Are the plants looking and growing well? Any algae problems?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Potassium is the K in NPK. You are dosing only one of the three macros. I agree, order some ferts from aquariumfertilizer.com

You need to get KNO3, K2S04, and KH2PO4. You may also want to pick up some CSM+B for micros or you can stick with flourish for micros.
My bad. I knew that. In too much of a hurry (been fighting recalcitrant yard machinery today :mad: .)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my tank is 60g i do diy co2 16-25 bpm.i have 160 watts total on the tank.1x87000k power glo 3x6700 aqua glo.will be adding new substrate today or tommorow,i bought a bag of seachem flourite so will probably add that.the stem plants seem ok ludwigia,wisteria,but the swords are yellowing on the ends,ergo the potassium.but i definantly need something else,it was going real good for a while but now this.i have the tank on a timer on for 5 off for 3 and on for 5.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If you want to use seachem products then I rec you purchase...

Seachem Flourish
Seachem Iron
Seachem Potassium
Seachem Phosphate
Seachem Nitrogen

after that go to Seachem's site and print out the daily dosage chart which will tell you what to dose and how much. Basically Iron everyday, NPK everyother day and Flourish/Trace every off day and leaving one day with no ferts to do water changes on that day.

Try testing for the co2 and see how much you are actually getting into the water column and if it's not enough you might have to get a bigger DIY bottle or add one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I dose Yamato Green twice a week and have great results. Other's have said the dry ferts are great too, but I have no first hand experience. With Yamato Green, you can dose just YG alone, and every so often give them extra iron, or Yamato Green-N if you don't have enough N in the tank from fish waste/food. You can guage if they need more or less. If you have good lights and CO2, the Yamato gets the plants pearling within a few hours of dosing! (at least in my tank)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.