The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently started my first co2 injected tank. The tank is a 12 gallon long with canister filter and 12 rainbow shiners. I am currently 10 days in since planting. My plants (all tissue culture) have been growing extremely well including my utricularia graminifolia. My lights are on for 6.5 hours a day, with the co2 coming on an hour before lights on and off an hour before the lights go off. Once the lights are off I plug in an airstone to gass off excess co2 since my shiners need more DO than regular fish. I'm running approx one bubble per second which gets my drop checker to lime green 3-4 hours in to the light period.
During the first week I dosed one pump of thrive-c, and then right before the first WC and trim I noticed a tiny bit of cyano growing. Removed most of it during the WC which was Sunday. Now today I noticed some regular green algae growing on the sand and UG on the side of the tank that my diffuser is on. I haven't dosed any ferts since the first time, thinking that the excess phosphate in my tap plus what the thrive c added caused the cyano.
Can anyone help me out on whether or not I should be dosing ferts? The tissue culture plants are growing well, so I'm wondering if they are big enough to need fertilizer now. I have UNS contrasoil as well, with UG, Monte Carlo, hydrocotyle Japan, dwarf hairgrass, blyxa japonica, and Christmas moss. On hand I have thrive c for low tech, and thrive + for high tech. Pictured on top is the tank on Sunday, bottom is the first day I set it up (1 week difference). Thanks!

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Offhand the answer is you should always be dosing ferts to package directions.

If you are worried you have too much or too little ferts you should check nitrates before your next water change.

If it's really cyno you should get appropriate meds to dose the tank. Cyno is bacteria, it's an infection not a fert issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.