The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fear that my Stratum is not deep enough. I've already planted moderately but I feel that I need to add some depth. Is this possible to do after the tank is already established? If so, what can I add to the substrate? More stratum? Sand? Gravel?

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
477 Posts
You can add more substrate of whatever you want, but do it slowly as it will make a mess. I did a little over a couple of weeks without any issue past some cloudy water.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can add more substrate of whatever you want, but do it slowly as it will make a mess. I did a little over a couple of weeks without any issue past some cloudy water.
I'm concerned about how deep to actually plant the flora. Right now the roots are below the surface, but if I add more depth to the substrate then the stems or petioles of the leaves would be under the substrate as well. So should I pull the plants up a little bit after I add more substrate?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Probably in your best interest to pull the plants up a tiny bit after adding in the substrate. Just use a bit of logic to think this one through. Plants need light to survive and any leaves you plant under the substrate would not receive light so will likely die off. If this plant of yours is a stem plant, it may just grow roots from those buried sections. If you dont mind that slight die off of the bottom leaves then leave them buried. If it is a rhizome plant then you need to make sure the rhiszome is not buried at all. Really no harm in you experimenting since you will still have the tops of the stems to replant at your next trim and maintenance. Try it both ways then learn from it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably in your best interest to pull the plants up a tiny bit after adding in the substrate. Just use a bit of logic to think this one through. Plants need light to survive and any leaves you plant under the substrate would not receive light so will likely die off. If this plant of yours is a stem plant, it may just grow roots from those buried sections. If you dont mind that slight die off of the bottom leaves then leave them buried. If it is a rhizome plant then you need to make sure the rhiszome is not buried at all. Really no harm in you experimenting since you will still have the tops of the stems to replant at your next trim and maintenance. Try it both ways then learn from it.
That makes sense. Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts