The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i grabbed a pot of hairgrass a few months ago and it hasn't really done anything in my tank.i probaby mishandled it when i planted it, i tried to get all the stone wool off of it and pulled it apart into smaller clumps kind of but i didn't think i broke it too much. my tank is soil base layer with an inch and a half of sand on top and had diy co2 into it for the last month or two and recently started dosing with flourish comprehensive. my light is only 1w per gallon, so i'm wondering if that is even the reason. it stays alive pretty well, it's nice and green it just doesn't really grow, there is virtually no root growth as far as i can tell. everything else seems to do alright. is it the low light?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ps i'm thinking about throwing some in a smaller tank with nothing else in it right now and sitting in the window sil for a while, is that a good idea to let it get it's roots? or would that just make it ripe for algae

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
What are the dimensions of your tank, and what kind of light do you have?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
wpg is a terrible thing to go by
even so, I get the feeling your lights may just be a little low, since everything else sounds about right
btw, you are supposed to manhandle hair grass when you get it, I spent 2.5 hours yesterday planting each crown separately and trimming the roots and leafs down a good amount
and now I have to re-do half of it cause it came floating up lol

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well that makes me feel a bit better about getting in there with it. i'm not even caring about it any more, its just hanging out in my quarantine/grow out tank. everything else does well (mostly pretty low light plants though) but it just stays as is, simple getting by. oh well. thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts