The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my diy yeast sugar is not being able to produce co2 since 3 days now. heres what i did. 2l coke bottle, filled with luke warm water (38-40C) mixed sugar till it dissolves, aded yeast half tea spoon mixed and fixed to my setup. where am i wrong. my water is 7.3ph.

·
Registered
652 Posts
It could also be old yeast. But listen for a leak, its super easy to find on a DIY co2 setup. Push on the bottle pretty well and if there is pressure in the bottle then there is more than likely a leak...Bad yeast normally doesn't produce much pressure.

·
Registered
537 Posts
well if i squeeze the bottle, the bubbles come from bubble counter. the yeast is brand new.
The yeast could have been old in the store or miss handled at the store.

Checking for leaks, if you have hemostats clamp off the hose to the bubble counter then check for leaks (Seeing if the system holds presure that way)

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
check for leaks, shake the bottle little bit, if the shaking doesn't help, and you're sure you don't have a leak, restart.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I say leak. Make sure the cap is on tight and everything is siliconed well together.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Open the bottle and smell. If it's yeasty smelling, and maybe a bit of an alcohol scent, then the yeast are working and there is a leak. Also listen carefully to hear tiny tiny bubbles popping (you can usually see them as well if you look closely.) If the water is fairly clear, rather than cloudy, and you can't see, smell, or hear anything happening in the bottle, you either got a bad bit of yeast or possibly cooked them when you added water that was hotter than you thought. I'd put money on a leak, honestly.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
you should activate(?) the yeast first in a seperate cup of slightly warm water. i like to add a pinch of sugar to that water as well just to get things going. when you do this let the yeast activate for about 15 mins, by that point the surface of the water should be foamy. if not you probably have bad yeast or you killed the yeast with hot water. they are prety sensative to hot water. while your waiting for the yeast to activate dump your sugar and warm water into your bottle and try to disolve as much as possable. if you follow these steps, and see the foam on the water with the activated yeast but its still not working you definatley have a leak.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Make sure you didn't leave any pop in the bottle also. Sodium benzoate is bad for yeast.

If your yeast is active, you should be able to see the mixture churning in the bottle, or at least bubbling.

Use lukewarm water, or room temperature also. Water above 100 F can kill yeast. I always just use cold water, and get bubbles in an hour or so. It may be worth your time to dechlorinate the water. I have always done it for DIY CO2, but honestly, I don't do this when making beer or bread, and my yeast still survives.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had this problem when I started my DIY setup I tried activating the yeast before adding it to the sugar mixture and that worked for me you want to use water around 104 degrees fahrenheit to activate the yeast. After a while I scraped the whole activating the yeast and just cranked you the temp of the water. Try placing the bottle with the yeast mixture in some really hot tap water(non-boiling)after 15 to 30 minutes do you get bubbles? Try using some hot not lukewarm water and see what you get shake the heck out of that bottle for at least 15 second after the yeast goes in. I'm not making any promises because water parameters are a factor in CO2 production but give it a shot what do you have to lose. Long story short more heat and shake the heck out of the mixture I bet that gets you going. Happy Bubbling ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well is it ok if i dont heat the water? as we shake the bottle, coz of friction, the water automatically might get a bit warmer. i guess i killed the water coz of heat.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Yep, you can use cold water, yeast, and sugar. The only difference will be an extra hour wait while the water comes up to room temperature so that the yeast can start working, and the sugar will be a bit harder to dissolve than it otherwise would.

You're not going to cook them via shaking.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey you can do what you like I just wanted to give you my experiences with the yeast mixture but the only way I got my mixture to get going was hot water. It's all about experimenting to get your mixture keyed in it's simple once you figure out what works for you. I would get some extra bottles and try everything that was suggested on here and see which one works best. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts