The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's something that I'm experimenting with (so far, I’m only two days in, too soon to tell), instead of a full 3 hour noon blast, I'm doing half hour on and half hour off over 6 hour period. It works out to be the same 3 hour noon blast, but my hypothesis is that this method would yield even more efficient growth. My reasoning are as follows.

If you look at nature, there are times when sun is covered by cloud, so that the intensity always fluctuate for a given period. By doing on and off blast method, it would more closely mimic nature. The whole idea behind noon blast is that plant would use its stored reserve nutrient during times of high light intensity (I keep my water column fert. very lean). By blasting at intervals, I think plant would recuperate better and better utilize its stored reserve. Based on my own observation, when I set to three hour noon blast, plant would still pearl a great deal after the blast is over. In another word, the pearling effect after the noon blast is higher than it would normally be under normal lighting. That observation is what lead me to try the interval method, to capitalize on this effect - I believe I can achieve more pearling and over an extended period using the same total wattage. Reasoning is that the extra pearling effect would spread over the six intervals.

Another reason I’m giving this interval blast method a try is because I’ve notice my E. Tenellus is turning red using the regular blast method. The color change is due to my light intensity. At full blast I have over 5wpg and most of that wattage are coming from super intense metal halide. I’m hoping that by blasting at intervals, my Tenellus would revert back to green. Turing red in my opinion is pretty but not efficient in terms of growth because pigment change reduced the amount of photosynthetic cell – it’ s natures sunblock.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not really throwing out an argument per say because really when it comes to your tank and plants well do whatever makes them look the best.

However I think the whole blast term and nature really refers to the position of the sun compared to the earth. The 3 hours when the sun is directly overhead means essentially that the suns rays are going through less atmosphere than normal, therefore there is more intensity. The general rule of thumb is even when it is cloudy especially on body of water you can get a worse sunburn than when its not. The suns rays still penetrate the cloud and then they bounce off the water and do a pinball effect between the clouds and the water until they are absorbed.

Thats really more a comment about nature than anything else. You might be completely right about it being better for your plants. The question really is what is your lighting setup and what are you using to blast.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, what I'm really trying to figure out here is if I'll achieve better growth via 3 hour continuous blast or split them up into intervals. I have 110 gallon tall. 48" Aqualight pro with 2x 96watt power compact (10,00K) and 2x 150watt metal halide (6,700K). Photoperiod is 12 hours with just the powercompact and 3 hours blast with everything on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts