The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just saw my first Noodling this past weekend, Just plain stupid in my opinion.

The guy that won had a 56 pound flat head catfish. (Won the $400 dollar bet)

The guy in second place had a 38 pound flat-head catfish and 2 water maccosine bites. Had to go to the ER and get anti-venom shots. Idiot. (won $50 dollars) He's still at the ER cause he was drinking and they have to monitor him for a reaction... lol

All in all, it was fun to watch, but there is no way I am going to jump into a river and stick my hand under the bank to try to catch a catfish...

I'll stick to chicken livers and a hook and wait it out all night.

Anyone else ever see this happen before?

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
I once hooked a probably 15 lb flathead and that thing pulled so hard it took my line all the way to the other side of the river and wrapped it around a log. I got a good look at the fish when it rolled once.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
ok, after reading up on that & checking out some google pics, all I can say is that some genes don't need to be passed on...

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
First off, I bet the guy who was bit by the water moccasins was drunk, and purposely aggravating the snake (?) Take ******** + venom + alcohol, and that's usually what happens.

I've worked with a lot of wild snakes for years, and I can tell you, snakes aren't necessarily aggressive. With most nonvenomous, it's usually just a bluff when one comes after you. With venomous, they may come along as very aggressive, but in truth, they are just extremely territorial and defensive of their territory. Most crotalids (pit vipers) occupy large territories especially in breeding season, and will do anything to protect their territory. IME (don't do this with venomous), if you just stop and stand in front of a nonvenomous snake that's "chasing" you, it will more very likely go right between your feet or right past you into a hiding spot. If it DOES bite you, it's really nothing. Nonvenomous snakes have teeth used to get hold of their prey, not to kill it, so it really doesn't hurt too bad.

btw, for those of you who like catching catfish, try using grapes. I used them once while in west Alabama, and we caught monsters on them!
As for noodling, it sounds fun, in a dimwitted way. I might try it.........eventually......after I start to lose sanity. lol.

Quite frankly, catching catfish on hook and line is a pain. They slimy, they often swallow hooks, and they can be very messy on land, in a gross way. Cool fish, but I would prefer NOT to hook one.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Not sure about that. I think my father is working with them, but in India. I'll have to ask him next time he visits. I know there are some farmers in Puerto rico who raise them in large scale in ponds, along with ornamental fish. I wouldn't be surprised if they were being raised in the Mississippi.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Catfish tastes really good so long as you get it from water that doesn't have a lot of algae. It is sort of bland-tasting, but that makes it really good with lemon squeezed on top. Catfish is fantatstic in fish tacos with lemon and pickled onions.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.