The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently aquired a 10 gallon tank and decided im going to try my hand at doing a planted tank. I have already planned on using a yeast for my CO2 production. My main question is how best to incorporate it. First however I am planning on using 2 CF in my hood, not exactly sure on the wattage but prob btw 30-40W. Also going to be running a HOB for circulation.

1. Glass diffuser: I have seen alot of these online and not only are they inexpensive but they look cool too. Big question with these is can I just run a tube from the DIY CO2 to the diffuser? Prob would use a check valve. Is there any need for a bubble counter since I cant change the CO2 output? How good is the diffusion?

2. CO2 Reactor: I have seen a few different DIY reactors and feel confident I could build one. One problem is that I would have to run a dedicated pump which would take up room in a 10g. Upside is I would increase my total H2O volume so the system would be more stable. Is the amount of diffusion better w/ the reactor? Do I run the pump so that it is pushing the water through it or pulling?

3. Run the CO2 into the HOB so it can get chopped up by the propeller blade: Can I drill it into the intake or will this attempt to pull the yeast solution out? Could I drip the bubble just next to the intake in the hope that they get pulled up?

Thanks for any imput

·
Registered
143 Posts
The best DIY diffuser idea Ive run across is using one of those Hagen Elite mini internal filters, taking the filter spounge out of it, running your co2 line into the little trapdoor, and then putting the filter spounge on the filter outlet. The bubbles hit the impeller and then are chopped up and run into the spounge getting caught up and diffused fairly well. Ive seen this method used and it seems to work well. And investing in a small canister filter rather than a HOB would be a good idea as well, they are said to help outgas your co2 from the tank.

I dont know much about external reactors so I cant help you there.

There are glass diffusers that are small enough to work with yeast bottles, and yes use a check valve, but what you can use to control your flow is on alot of powerheads there is a little wheel slide that is on the airline tubing that can help adjust flow into the powerhead, which can be used to regulate your co2 output.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the idea markstanfill88 the hagen elite doesnt look like it would take up much room, the pump is small is there a chance for suction to occur in my yeast bottle?

Im interested in how you suggested the CO2 regulation, im guessing that there would be a chance of too much pressure backing up in the yeast bottle? Has anyone ever used a blow-off valve on a similiar DIY? What is the range for bpm on such a small tank?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts