The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am waiting for the last order of supplies to come in to set up my tank. It should be here within a week.

So my question is, if I want to order plants, how much grace time do I have before I have to plant them? For example, if the plants come in on a weekday, but I dont have time to set up the tank on the weekend, will the plants survive and if so, do I need to put them in/under water?

Also I would love some ideas on easy to care for plants. I love the lush full looking plants. I will have live bearers in the tank so it would be nice for the fry to have places to hide.

I am not planning at least at the start to do CO2 so what plants would be best for back, mid and front of the tank without Co2 and for someone who has no experience at all with plants?

Ive looked around online and I do like the look of different mosses, I like the water sprite.. and my LFS has something called Rotala that I really liked the look of.. the leaves were purpleish.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I am so IMPATIENT... when I get mine, I MAKE time. I am sure you can float em, for a couple of days.

To me Water-Sprite should be a STAPLE in all LOW and High tech systems...I would go for the Sprite. I love em.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been browsing plant sites..

What do you guys think of
christmas or flame moss
Tiger lotus
four leaf clover

for a new plant person tank

Do you guys have a favorite place to order from?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I've been browsing plant sites..

What do you guys think of
christmas or flame moss
Tiger lotus
four leaf clover

for a new plant person tank

Do you guys have a favorite place to order from?

Tiger Lotus will grow too big. How big is your tank? Four Leaf Clover would require high light and CO2 and fine/nutrient rich substrate to do well, like any other carpet plants.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I have a 46 gallon bowfront too. If your water is on the harder side, vals are pretty much impossible to kill, and they grow fast. Rotala is an easy plant that grows quickly under good conditions. Your best bet would be to order from the Swap & Shop here. Much better than any retail site.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.