The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey Hoppy

Vals planted at the back and sides of a tank won't stay there for long if they are growing well. The send out lots and lots of runners, with a new plant about every 2 days, and those runners head for open water most of the time. I love vals, but they are a high maintenance plant, in my opinion.
Hey Hoppy; Whadda ya think of this plan? (Remembering that my goal is to keep a fat golfish in a dirt 70G planted with something nice looking which can eat up all them nitrates) The Plan: Plant the vals and let them fill the tank then cut whole leaves off of the individual plants rather than trimming or removing them, so the tank is full but the fish can move around the whole area.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
On second thought...

I was going to use vals extensively because they seem to be an easy and attractive, fast growing, beginner plant, but I guess they would take over the whole tank (with my dirt base they would be almost impossible to remove). I have learned that I can get high N absorption by using floaters and save swimming space for my fish and be able to plant with some kind of design in mind. Anyone think this is a good way to go?

21 - 23 of 23 Posts