The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 72g bow front fresh water setup. It came with a 40w (48" length) single bulb and that's what I have been using till now. Tank has about 8 koi angels.
I want to put more light into the tank and add more plants. Right now I have java fern and amazon sword. They are doing ok but don't show much growth. I do add florish c02 every other day.
If I want to add more light do I have to buy a new hood to accomodate more bulbs.
Read the noob guide.

I want to do atleast 2w/g which means I need 140w.
Do I have to buy a new fixture.
Went to AHSUPPLY.COM but was not sure which light fits my setup.
Can somebody help me out.
Thanks
Pilla

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Coralife makes a great low cost PC fixture. Teh aqualight FW is a great fixture. they have a couple options for you at 48" you can either go with a 2x 65W or a 4x 65w.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.
I know somebody who is selling this, can I use this for a freshwater setup?
I'll need a fixture to put this stuff in right?

"IceCap VHO Fluorescent Lighting System -Polished Aluminum Reflector (48”) – with 2 VHO actinic blue and 2 VHO actinic white bulbs. Ice Cap Waterproof End Caps and mounting brackets. IceCap electronic ballast – Model 660-009. Ice Cap Digital Timer "

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
With different bulbs yes VHO can be used on FW. I did a search last night on VHO bulbs and only came across 10K bulbs. So your bulb selection will be somewhat limited. I'm sure there are most likley some bulb makers that make lower spectrum bulbs.

·
Registered
429 Posts
You don't really need the actinic bulb for freshwater plants. Corals benefit the most from them.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies.
But if I get the whole setup for $100, can't I use it for freshwater plants? is there a disadvantage if I use actinic bulb for freshwater plants?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yes. You will be pushing high powered bulbs that will offer next to nothing benificial for your planted tank.
You will deff want to check the "actintic white" bulbs and see if they are actually 10,000K bulbs. if so you will be able to use those. But the blues aren't going to do much of anything for you.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Keep in mind with any used fixture you will need to expect to swap the bulbs soon. So you wind up paying 2X because the bulbs make up the largest value of these fixtures. Coralife bulbs run 30-50 each. So you may be better off just getting a new fixture and not have to worry about replacing bulbs for a while.

DR F&S
Compact Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Coralife Aqualight Double Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights

I also found this one on Ebay. Most likley knock off.

eBay: 48'' Power Compact Hood LIGHT AQUARIUM lunar 4 65 hood (item 250081489074 end time Feb-15-07 09:42:45 PST)

Looks like a coralife fixture. Keep your eye on it. I sent a couple questions to the seller. (warrenty/make) I will let ya know about what he says. But it states you have the option to chose your bulbs. If I were getting that fixture I'd get a pair of 10K bulbs and a pair of 6500K.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
I like then Orbit fixtures by Current. You'll have to change the dual actinic bulbs for plant friendly bulbs though. The reflectors are wider (almost as good as the AHSupply reflectors) than the Aqualights plus they come with white moonlights. Model 1024 is great for your 48" tank. CURRENT WHAT'S NEXT It will be 3.61 wpg and you will need CO2.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Blacksunshine.
Those prices are in my range budget wise. Can you please update me?
My tank is black and it looks like the seller carries only Silver hoods.

·
Registered
110 Posts
pilla,

Your other option is with the IceCap system. Even IceCap says that their ballasts will drive normal output (NO) bulbs (at higher than rated wattage). See the article on thier website here: IceCap Inc Normal Output Lamps Run on IceCap Ballast All you would need is some 48" NO "Daylight" (somewhere around 5500K - 10000K, depending on what you like - your plants don't care too much as long as it is this range) 40Watt bulbs. GE and Phillips both make some nice bulbs that I believe are available at The Borg (Home Depot) for $6 or so. WalMart, Target, etc. should all have something that works.

Even then, I don't think you would need to run more than two bulbs (the system should run with two empty slots iirc) as you should have the equivalent of about 120 - 160W or so.

The VHO light system you are looking at, with 4 ea. 48" VHO lamps is 440 watts !!! (hope you have some sunscreen - for you and your fish). You could run it without the two Actinic bulbs (if, in fact, the system will run with two bulbs out - I think it does as long as you take the correct two bulbs out (one whole circuit instead of 1/2 of each) and still be pumping 220 W into your tank. Please check with the manufacturer before making any decisions based on this information.

On the positive note for the IceCap system - they are nice. Very high quality and they stand behind their products. Those endcaps are about as high quality as they get and very waterproof.

It does not, however, sound like the IceCap system includes a hood / enclosure of any sort. It sounds like a retrofit system.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Sounds like ihooklow has a good plan there.

But if you decide to go with the other fixture. Its not a big deal the silver will look fine over your black trim tank. If it really bugs you, get a rattle can and paint the fixture

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ihooklaw,
Thanks for you input.

I am thinking the icecap will be too much to handle.

Called AH Supply and the guy suggested 55 Watt 2 Bulb Kit. It gives me 110W not close to the 2W/G standard. He said that I can use the existing enclosure. Got to make a decision.

Blacksunshine,
What do you think about the no name brand lights on ebay? they are priced cheap. Did a search on this forum but did not find much.
Thanks
Pilla

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
You get what you pay for. Those no-name lights have burnt out quickly, caused fires, and in general are not a good value. The 2X55 watt AH Supply kit will actually give you more usable light into the tank than some of the 4x55/65 watt fixtures you see on eBay.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Another option...

Aquatraders

I have heard good and bad things about their lights. At those prices I would consider them a temporary solution at best, but probably as good or better than the no-name light kits on eBay.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Another option...

Aquatraders

I have heard good and bad things about their lights. At those prices I would consider them a temporary solution at best, but probably as good or better than the no-name light kits on eBay.
The problem with that is if you buy lights there and spend even $50 and then a couple months down the road decide to get decent lights you are pretty much out the $50. It's much better to spend the money right the first time rather than fiddling around with half measures and spending 2X as much money in the long run.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I fully agree, but if you don't know what you want to do with lighting, and you think you might set up another tank later, it isn't too bad of an investment.

C'mon. Half-measures have worked for the US Govt for centuries!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally ordered from AH Supply. Will update once I get it.
Thanks everybody for all the help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts