The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i finally got some CRS babies (i don't think i have any CBS, although one of the females was a CBS) and wanted to ask what's the 'best' way to start to cull and breed to get high grade shrimps? do i just pick the babies that are high grade and see if they breed? any way to tell if they're female vs males?

thanks in advanced, experts! :D

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
You've got it right, you pair the best males and females and hope for the best. Actively remove the worst looking shrimp.

The best way to tell if they're male or female is to wait until they're of breeding age.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
yep, basically when females first get berried youll know they're females, and males will keep the slender shape. Before that, it's harder to tell who is male and who is female.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
btw liam, i dont know if there's a definitive answer to this - some of my CBS has lost their black color... why is that? they're more reddish brown now, esp the female that's berried.

also, some of my CRS are not full, in their whites - any tips on improving/helping their whites? note, that only some of them are not full... others, are fairly nicely colored as well as the shrimplets!

regardless, this is exciting stuff! now to move them all to a bigger tank... -___-

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm lost......... My LFS tested my water & that's what they came up with, GH75 GH80 I'm just trying to figure it out in English, never mind degrees and dividing this & that.......... Is mine too high? How do I lower it?

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
your GH is 4, your KH is 4.5

Your shrimp will breed better with KH at 0 or 1. Only way to achieve that would be to make water changes with remineralized RO water, or use peat in the filter, or use an active soil like ada amazonia aquasoil.

·
Registered
278 Posts
OK, Thank you..... I am using Fuval Shrimp Statum......... I can't find ADA Amazonia Aquasoil in my area. I tried before I bought the FSS which I was told was about the same & very good for shrimp. I do not have access to RO water & I can't go buying what I'd need to produce it.... Can I use Distilled water in place of RO water? Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.