The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Have been reading the forum for a little bit now, and thought I would introduce my 10g tank. It is my first tank and wasnt necessarily set up as being planted but it I have been enjoying watching it fill out. :)

- 2 x 8watts T5 lights supplied with the tank
- Eheim pump connect to trickle filter in hood.
- No ferts or CO2.

Flora:
-Java Fern - wont stop reproducing!
- Echinodorus amazonicus - Bigger plant doing well, smaller looking slightly dejected
-Hydrocotyle verticillata - slowly disappearing
- Blyxa aubertii or japonica - a bit yellow.

Fauna:
- 3 Guppies
- 1 Platy
- 3 Julii Corys
- 4 Amano Shrimp

I was hoping to get some advice on what I should do with the tank next? I want the tank to really start to flourish, with some carpeting! Is it worth introducing CO2 and ferts or would more light be a better step?

Any advice would be grrreat, what would be your next move?

Thanks, Seb.

(p.s. does any keep Cichlids here in a 10 gallon? Is it too small?) :fish:

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
you could try to upgrade the light and add some co2 and weekly liqiud fert dosing..that way,you can keep more beautiful plants,and they will flourish! oh,and if youre looking for carpet plants,i recommend riccia or dwarf hair grass,but you still have to bump up the lighting and have some co2
good luck :D

·
Registered
442 Posts
You could start to dose some of the Seachem line to ward off some of the plant wasting you are seeing, which is due to nutrient def.

If you want to stay low-tech, you could dose Seachem Excel (CO2 source), Seachem Flourish, and some of the Macros...

Looks like you have sand as a substrate...

YOur plants need nutrients (other than the ferns--they will survive anything).

YOu may want to carpet the tank with moss sheets...these are sheets of moss grown on a stainless or plastic grate, and they can serve as an excellent foreground cover in a low-medium light, low nutrient tank...

I actually have some in my mini-s...msotly flame, java, and mini-xmas moss.

Edit: just read that you have 16 watts of NO T5 light on a 10 gallon... simple upgrade would be in order, but if you only have ferns, anubias, and moss, then the light you have is okay...none of the mentioned plants NEED CO2/ferts (at least not as much as the blyxa, crypts, etc).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas guys!

There is plenty to think about. Would it be worth adding flourish/excel if there is only a sand substrate? Seems to me that the substrate would be a good place to start. :proud:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.