The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon

I'm attempting to build a pressurized Co2 System, and am working under a few constraints- Mostly, a self imposed requirement to build or salvage as many parts as possible, so my wife doesn't see another huge aquarium bill!

I have an old paintball regulator that would work perfectly for this particular project. However, I've run into a problem.

Long story short, the air tank was added to the regulator using the heavy-strength locktite. As I have very little space between the reg and the locktite, I suspect that using a propane torch might free the valve as the cost of the regulator. Before I make the attempt, I would like to explore any other alternatives.

The valve stuck in the regulator is from an compressed air tank- Which means, I beleive, that it's 5/8-18 UNF on the exposed side. If I can find an adapter that is 5/8-18 UNF female on one side and CGA 320 Female on the other, I could use the valve without risking the regulator. I've been unable to find such a part on Clippard or similiar sites, and have been "politely" turned away from a few local "warehouse" type places that would prefer to deal with companies.

I've been referred here due to the expertise in building Co2 systems found on this board. And the answer may very well be to purchase a new regulator. But I do thank you for your time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've actually managed to redefine the problem today at lunch. I had been unable to locate the part, and to be honest wasn't dead sure how much "kludge" I want on the high pressure side of the reg or how much cheaper it would end up being after buying an unusual, pressure rated part.

If anyone is interested, a MaxFlo regulator melts faster then Locktite.

My new reg is in the mail. Or at least scheduled to be mailed out.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I would guess that the information is all in your post, but its very confusing to me. What are You trying to remove? "Air" Tank? For compressed air? A pic would certainly help!

I cannot tell from Your post, but have You considered/tried to remove the stem that connects into the regulator on one end and the tank on the other?

I would say that we can help you out with this, but I think a Pic would really help, so we can see exactly what you are dealing with......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can post a pic later if you want, but the problem has been "redefined". That means I broke the regulator trying to get the valve out, and bought a new one.

You have pressurized Co2, right? Look at your Co2 tank. There is a valve at the top, where your regulator screws in? That valve/regulator connection was dosed with heavy-duty locktite by a well-intentioned person. I could not remove the valve from the regulator, but I could unscrew the tank from the valve.

If your tank and valve are all one peice or something, check out CO2 Tank Aluminum 20 oz With On/ Off Valve by Smart Parts, CO2 Tanks at Paintball Discounters

The black part is the tank. The brass part is the valve, and can unscrew from the tank. That brass part is what was stuck in my regulator.

Paintball regulators don't really function any different from a beverage regulator that many people use. Cheap paintball regulators might have a fixed pressure output that is way too high for this application, and most cheap Co2paintball systems don't even use a regulator. Expensive paintball regulators are, well, expensive. Paintball regulators have to be smaller and pretty looking. So, it doesn't make any sense to use one unless you are salvaging one for free.

And yeah, it was a Compressed Air tank. No real difference between CA and Co2 except the high pressure side of CA needs to be rated for 3000 or 4500 PSI, and you NEED a regulator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts