The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I have a 29 gallon tank who's stand broke after a week, and it's been sitting on a dog grooming table (their weight capacity is like 400 lb) in my storage room . I kinda need the table again to use and would like to see the tank in my bedroom at some point, but after getting a crappy tank stand meant for a full 29 gal and it breaking, I was wondering if anyone has had luck with using non traditional stands, like a beefy coffee table or a dresser or a media console, or a multimedia tank stand that's sturdy and low to the ground (max 25 inches high)

I'd love all suggestions, the better if you have links to specific furniture or stands would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Hello all! I have a 29 gallon tank who's stand broke after a week, and it's been sitting on a dog grooming table (their weight capacity is like 400 lb) in my storage room . I kinda need the table again to use and would like to see the tank in my bedroom at some point, but after getting a crappy tank stand meant for a full 29 gal and it breaking, I was wondering if anyone has had luck with using non traditional stands, like a beefy coffee table or a dresser or a media console, or a multimedia tank stand that's sturdy and low to the ground (max 25 inches high)

I'd love all suggestions, the better if you have links to specific furniture or stands would be appreciated.
One of my tanks is on a kitchen counter, another is on a book shelf. My third tank is on an aquarium stand that I heavily modified. Whenever I can finally get my 4th tank it will go on a stand I built myself. So none of my tanks are really on a stock stand.

A 29 gallon tank weights around 350 lbs by the time you add substrate and some hardscape. Which means its not super heavy by furniture standards. One thing you need to be careful of is something wide enough at the base so the tank is stable. Anyway if it were me I'd poke around on craigslist or facebook marketplace for used solid wood furniture. I'd be a little wary of coffee tables because they might not have much support in the middle of the table and/or the legs might not be attached with anything more then a couple of screws. If they are built with proper mortise and tenon joinery and support running under the length of the top then they could work, but it would be a case by case basis. Most likely you are looking for a side table, entertainment stand, trunk, or smaller dresser.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hello! If you go to my tank journal, you'll see the coffee table I had made to hold my 25G tank. It's made from reclaimed scaffolding wood and steel so easily holds the weight. I'm in the UK otherwise would recommend the shop, but it's something worth looking into!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.