The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I use a rigid siphoning tool that I diy'd but if I understand your question, you just have trouble keeping the drain end in the bucket?

If I'm understanding this correctly, I drilled two small holes at the very top of the bucket and threaded a zip-tie through them. I use the zip-tie to hold a length of 3/4" PVC firmly in place at rim of the bucket. Once I start the siphon, I insert the drain end of the tube in the bucket so that it stays in place as I do maintenance with the other end in the tank. Keeps the thing from flopping out of the bucket and draining water all over the floor.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use a python system. I just curl the end into a loop and stick the loop into the bucket. It always stays there.
Hi AJA,I have a python but are you saying to remove the piece that would fit on the faucet and use that because my first idea was to use it attached with a filter media bag to catch the sand{pfs}but I fear that it would clog the piece on the faucet.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi AJA,I have a python but are you saying to remove the piece that would fit on the faucet and use that because my first idea was to use it attached with a filter media bag to catch the sand{pfs}but I fear that it would clog the piece on the faucet.
Yeah I just don't connect it to the faucet when I am syphoning the substrate. I disconnect it and put the faucet end into a bucket to syphon the substrate. Once I am done with the substrate I then hook it up to the sink and use it normally. That way I collect any substrate, mulm or other stuff in the bucket. I also use the bucket to rinse my filter media.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.