The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am investing in a ADA 90P aquarium and I really want to find fish that will stay in the upper strata of the water, but that do not jump. I would be fine with jumping, but I do not think there is an aesthetically pleasing way to cover the top of this kind of aquarium.

I love:

Hatchetfish
Killifish
Halfbeaks

All of which are huge jumpers... Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My question is: do you have a cluttered house, or cats? Killifish are my jam, and they can live many days out of water, but only jump if the water is not healthy. I feel like perhaps you could definitely keep certain killis in your 90L, make sure your species is happy with the water volume, and you will never have tobuy fish again!

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
All fish will jump - it's a matter of time and circumstances. Fish jump for many reasons - when startled, being chased or just to get to a puddle next door.

You can take some measures to minimize the losses:
- your tank comes with metal hooks for mounting glass / plexiglass cover in a aesthetic fashion
- use dim-able lights (i.e. LEDs) and / or timer (i.e. Ramp Timer) that let you increase / decrease intensity over time (a lot of fish jump when the lights come on full blast)
- avoid predatory fish

Check out various rasboras - they are a schooling fish that tends to hang in the upper 1/3 level.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I lost 20 or so harlequin rasbora because of directional flow of a powerhead pointing at a 30 degree downward angle. they enjoyed swimming against the currant and eventually would "break through" ending up shooting out of the water :( since I have corrected the flow direction I have yet to lose a fish in this manner.

good luck!

Brevity and typos courtesy of my iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OVT to answer your question, I do have a dog. However she is a boxer and has no idea that there are fish in the tank. She would end up eating one if she came across it though.

I really like the idea of having a pair of Aphyosemion australe Lyretail Killis. I do not have than tank yet, but I am buying a used one. From what I saw I did not see metal hooks for mounting glass.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
73 Posts
OVT to answer your question, I do have a dog. However she is a boxer and has no idea that there are fish in the tank. She would end up eating one if she came across it though.

I really like the idea of having a pair of Aphyosemion australe Lyretail Killis. I do not have than tank yet, but I am buying a used one. From what I saw I did not see metal hooks for mounting glass.

Thanks all!
If you can find a good glass shop, my fallback is to get a piece of plate glass to cover.

Funny about the dog. My cat has her cat tree right next to the new 75 that is not yet stocked, hope she doesn't gain an interest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.