The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you know if a plant is truely aquatic i have a plant i think its not truely aquatic and i wanna take it out if the roots n stems starts turnin msuhy and starts to smell like ass when its not aqua?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
It isn't an aquatic.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i need the space i went to petland today and notice amazon swords were only 1.99 then i looked at another label and it was 4.99 so i went to the tank wif no labels that had a amazon in it and brought two for only 4.00 cuz i pointed to the tag wif the 1.99 =D

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you buy from Petco, chances are it is not aquatic. I dont get why they keep tanks full of melting and decaying bog and terrrestrial plants and expect people to buy it. For heavans sake the Meijers have real aquatic plants and take better care that the Petco, that is sort of ironic.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
kk thnxs but how did u find out? should i take it out and shove into a pot of soil??
I know most aquatics and these are not any of them..plus the stem structure is very terrestrial.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
frozen, one sure way to know it's not completely aquatic
is if the plant can stand on it's own out of water or not.
Just a note: This test only works on true aquatics, stuff that is 100% aquatic with no emmersed form, like Anacharis and Valisneria. Stuff like Anubias, java fern, swords, crypts, Alternanthera, Downoi, tons of others all have submerged forms that can stand on their own out of water and will live just fine 100% submerged.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That picture looks like something they sell as "Cherry Hedge" at the LFS. I bought some at a supposedly decent store a year ago. I got it home and researched it and never put it in my tank. Took it back and told them it was "non aquatic" and they were like: Huh, Grows fine for us. BS.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Ah, yes... I've noticed that the "aquatic" plants at the big chain pet stores that turn out to not be aquatic are what we call "bog plants" - they're great for a terrarium! I don't know why they don't just SAY they're terrarium plants... You'd think people would want their frogs and salamanders or... whatever... to have nice plants to run around in, but I guess they sell more plants to fish people. *shrug* But anyway, they'd need lots of moisture or they dry up. I had to learn this the hard way, myself... and I've currently got some kind of plant in my aquarium that I'm waiting to see if it turns out to be aquatic or not...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.