The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello. :) So around 2 weeks ago I purchased a Fluval C2 to replace my Aquaclear 20 for my 10 gallon. I loved my AC and it always kept my water pristine, but the motor was becoming unreliable and would always cut off on its own. So I went and got the C2 as an upgrade. I heard lots of great reviews about it, and how it is as quiet as the AC line. Unfortunately, that didn't work out for me. The filter was extremely noisy when I first got it. I thought to myself "Well, it probably just needs time to break in." so I left it alone for a few days. It was still incredibly noisy and rattling. I lathered some Vaseline in the motor and propeller area. It only helped a little bit. The filter itself is also balanced against the aquarium too. And it isn't the hood being kept on there that is making the rattling noise either.

Any who, I just need some guidance. I guess I am still a bit new to the hobby being in it only a year and a half. What do you all do to quiet your noisy filters?

Also forgot to mention the water flowing noise in the filter. My water level is high enough, but somewhere in the filter, there is water flow noise.

·
Registered
48 Posts
sounds like you have trapped air... in which case the impeller may have ran dry.... Which wears the shaft, possibly causing the noise, did you bleed the system at the onset?

Sent using Tapatalk from my ZX81

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never let it run dry before, and sorry for my limited vocabulary, but what does "bleed the system at the onset" mean?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Return and get a new ac I just git my first ac 70 and love it super quiet
I upgraded for a reason. I just need a solution for this dilemma. But I will take your opinion into consideration. :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
vaseline or silicone grease. i just fixed my AC 50 with vaseline. Pull out the impeller as well as the shaft. For the shaft you might need a plier. Dip the shaft in vaseline put a nice coat on it . Put the shaft back in and put the impeller back on. reassemble and test.
Search youtube you can find some people fixing their noisy motors as well.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
vaseline or silicone grease. i just fixed my AC 50 with vaseline. Pull out the impeller as well as the shaft. For the shaft you might need a plier. Dip the shaft in vaseline put a nice coat on it . Put the shaft back in and put the impeller back on. reassemble and test.
Search youtube you can find some people fixing their noisy motors as well.
Good idea, as I was about to toss my Fluval 404 through the window.
And it has a 6 month old impeller and shaft.

v3

·
Registered
48 Posts
I will try that, and announce the results. And the shaft can go right back in? I am worried that it will break..

Well, i guess when I lathered it with Vaseline last time, it wasn't enough. And this time I put too much to the point where the motor wouldnt even turn on. Silly me. But I got another cutip and got out some of the vaseline and plugged that joker back in and it is silent! Thanks you guys.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I just pull out the impeller and use Q tip to put some Vaseline. It lessens the noise and sometimes becomes noisy again. When the impeller collects more sludge it becomes quieter, mine did. It's just the thing you deal with HOB, some are quiet and some are just not. Canister is the one to go to, if you want it silence.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Unless it is from the tank there shouldn't be the sound of water running anywhere in the filter system. I suspect there is an airlock in and around the impeller, which would likely explain the noise too. Try lifting and tilting the filter while it is running to see if the air will pass on and out.

·
Registered
339 Posts
have run a fluval 306 in one tank for about six months and a Fluval FX6 in the larger tank for about a year. Happy with both, both are very quiet.

The 306 did have a few set up issues. The hose is difficult to seal and mine tended to leak air. I made sure the inlet hose connection in the tank is positioned so that the connection is under water. I applied a bit of plumbers tape at the inlet connection to the pump housing. I removed all the O Ring gaskets and applied a thin coating of vegetable oil. Never could get the housing top O Ring to seal well so I replaced it. Now, no air leaks and the pump is very quiet. The larger pump stops for a minute every 12 hours for a minute to keep air from building up inside.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unless it is from the tank there shouldn't be the sound of water running anywhere in the filter system. I suspect there is an airlock in and around the impeller, which would likely explain the noise too. Try lifting and tilting the filter while it is running to see if the air will pass on and out.
I tried tilting it, and it was no use. But when I turn it off and back on again, it goes away, but 5 minutes later it comes back. Oh well. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It still has the water flowing sound inside it, I think I might have found where is it coming from. It is at the inlet u-tube and there is a long air bubble stretching along the u-tube into the motor. Is that the culprit?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry for bad quality, the long bubble is in the right side where there is a clear tube.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Turns out that was it. All I had to do was plug and unplug the motor rapidly to get that air bubble out. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts