The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son now has his own tank up and running. The tank is approximately 18 x 36 without a center brace. It is one of the $1.00 a gallon sale tanks. The biggest problem is he can not find a glass hinged top for this tank. He has tried ordering a glass top from Petco and is waiting for over a month. Any other glass tops require a center brace, and this was made without one. (This tank was given to him from his friend and was an old turtle tank.) Any ideas as to where to find a top for this odd-ball tank?:fish:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This looks like a good weekend project! How thick should the glass be for 36 inches across without a center brace? My son tried plexiglass, and yes that sagged, to thin for that length of span.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
plexiglass/acrylic in general tends to work poorly as a top. Unless it is extremely thick (and overly expensive), or braced, it will sag.

I don't think you would need very thick glass, even window pane glass would probably work, unless you are going to have a bit of weight supported directly on top of it, and not the frame/aquarium edges.

Glass is actually really strong - I worked in a library once where the floors were made up of 2-3' squares of ~1" glass, and we were constantly rolling around carts full of books.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts