The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm trying to pull of a totally no-tech tank. No filter, no heater (heated room though), no light. Essentially a large 'jarrarium'. I've got a beautiful 2.5 gallon rounded corner rimless tank, on a southfacing windowsill where it will get lots of light throughout the day in the winter, and less light during the heat of the summer (due to deciduous trees leafing out).

I'm not picky about what I can keep. I just want to try this as a learning experience.
I plan on a decent substrate (was thinking potting soil capped with Seachem Fluorite).

I was thinking anubias, java mass, some drifwood/lava rock.

For critters I'm thinking either a really nice betta or perhaps shrimp, though I'm not sure they'll tolerate the cold. The tank sits at 62 degrees F pretty consistently, though I do expect it to be fairly variable.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Sounds like it will be a good learning experience. Some suggestions. If at all possible, find some fast growing stem plants and or floating plants. It will really help with excess nutrients in a no-tech tank. Ramshorns snails are pretty nice to keep in any tank.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Potentially shrimp would work, possibly a single flag fish if you're looking for centerpiece type fish. Perhaps an american crawdad. Maybe a trio of mosquito fish. Snails are by far a valid option here. Your temperature is definitely limiting. Look into subtropical flora and fauna. I would steer clear of betta in this set up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've done a heaterless Opae Ula shrimp tank before, they are a brackish species so you'll be limited to low range macroalgae such as Cheato, and some of the Gracilaria species. Marimo Moss balls also work well in these conditions

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Hi all,

I'm trying to pull of a totally no-tech tank. No filter, no heater (heated room though), no light. Essentially a large 'jarrarium'. I've got a beautiful 2.5 gallon rounded corner rimless tank, on a southfacing windowsill where it will get lots of light throughout the day in the winter, and less light during the heat of the summer (due to deciduous trees leafing out).

I'm not picky about what I can keep. I just want to try this as a learning experience.
I plan on a decent substrate (was thinking potting soil capped with Seachem Fluorite).

I was thinking anubias, java mass, some drifwood/lava rock.

For critters I'm thinking either a really nice betta or perhaps shrimp, though I'm not sure they'll tolerate the cold. The tank sits at 62 degrees F pretty consistently, though I do expect it to be fairly variable.

Thoughts?
This thread is 2 months old so not sure if the OP already built this yet or not. I will say that 1) 2.5 gallons is pretty small for anything that isn't a shrimp or snail. I would stick with those, they will do great in the low 60s. 2) If growing just epiphyte plants like anubias and moss you do not need or want dirt in the tank. 3) If this window is getting direct light for more then a single hour a day its going to be an algae farm. The sun produces around 1600 to 2000 par as compared to typical lighting for a tank like this being around 25 par and the sun stays up lighting the sky a lot longer then most people light their tanks.

Just some thoughts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.