The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Hello! I love jars and vases. Fluorescent lamp would likely be more stable if you can do it. On a timer of course. But indirect sunlight also helps and you can reduce the artificial light accordingly.

If you want no tech/low tech and will be using Fluval Stratum you can skip the CO2 and ferts. I have plants growing quite well in this substrate, with low light. Rare dose of Fluorish comprehensive. Two plus months strong.

E.g water wisteria, Bacopa monnieri, Ludwigia
Also doing well are weeping moss and Java moss (I guess they're getting enough from the water)

I have no experience with hornwort, but I think it grows in the lakes around here so it's gotta be hardy. the Petsmart around here has Alternanthera reinickii (I can't remember if they label it as Telanthera cardinalis). I hear this is fairly easy too.

Depending on what fauna you end up putting in later, you may not need to do large/frequent water changes. People do all sorts with these low tech/no tech jars as far as WC is concerned. From none to a lot. I tend to stick with weekly 20-25% WC once my tanks are cycled. It's just simpler to keep on track. And for a one or two gallon jar, that's just 1-2 litres! I keep water ready to go in milk jugs for this purpose. Milk jugs are my friends.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
hey hey my friend, question: is a bubbler necessary for a vase or jar if its only filled with plants? or am i killing the co2 that its getting? i have this small maybe 1 gallon tank thing that i put miracle gro in and am using the little led it came with. i put in a small bubbler just for $hits and giggles
I am planning on putting a bubbler in one of my vases (2+ gallons). Also for s---s and giggles.

Do you really need fast growth in the jar anyway? So why not keep the bubbler if it makes you happy. Regardless of whether it decreases the CO2 in the water.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts