The Planted Tank Forum banner
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I really love these displays. I'll have to give it some thought as I also have a cat who would love to mess with the plants and drink the water. If I were going to google this what would I google besides coffee table display? That sounds a little broad. Is there an actual name for this kind of thing?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Loving these! I would love to do something like this, but like others here, I have a cat that would probably destroy it. It's bad enough she thinks my 30 gallon tank is her own personal water bowl. :p

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
o, went to the petstore today to get some bones and chewables for my dog, and as usual left with some kind of water related thing. i grabbed some more H.pinitfida and some palms he had as they were a bucket load cheaper than buying them from bunnings.

Buying this lead me to accidentally re doing the bowl. it was over run with a strange gooey alage, so i tried to pull some stuff out to make it easier to clean but i managed to put the entire substrate out in on solid piece. I've not seen anything like the root system for everything in it. i could hold the entire bowls worth of substate and plants in my hand.

this time around, i changed it up a little.

Substate is

clay
sphagnam moss
dirt from the back yard
DIY root tabs
pool filter sand

I think i used 2 little of everything underneath and then 2 much of a cap but ill see how it goes. I have a 3 or 5 watt reading lamp i am thinking about placing this under so i can place this in my room. I am just in the process of working out how i can suspend it neatly.

I noticed once i had everything out, the S.repens had started to carpet a little. Hopefully if the goo stays away this will have a nice lush carpet one day.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts