The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
thanks for the kind words!

i hunted around and found another third vase, its alot smaller but hopefully it will work! ill be putting a amazon sword in it, once it breaks off from the parent plant. i may end up swapping the plants around in the vases depending on how it goes.

progress up date on the bowl - hair grass has all ready started to send off runners and the bacopa is doing nothing at all.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Pictures?

v3

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
How do people combat surface scum? It's just appeared in both of these. I hate it with a passion!

Nearly pulled the trigger and brought a betta for the bowl today after going every where in my town and not finding suitable and budget to setup for a betta. Found one 10l bowl, that was 65 dollars, was the worst glass I've have ever seen. Such poor quality you could barely see through it. The other option was a 8l cube but I don't like the look of them enough.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I thin kit would be great to add something with more interest (the designer in me talking), but a simple piece of drift, with maybe some moss tied securely. The branch could come out of the water, and throw in a shrimp for good measure during company.
Like this:
(but of course decorate accordingly)

·
Registered
370 Posts
I got all my bowls at thrift stores. If your town has any it's a great way to find some. I paid a total of $2.25 for 3, my pico and 2 larger ones.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Finally have found a large enough bowl. it measure 32x33cm i am not clever enough to work out capacity but its 2x the size of a 7l bowl i bowl found. the website i found it on seems to have slow shipping but hopefully it wont take to long.

will get 1x better, some java fern and moss on drift wood and may some hair grass, because i have a heap of it haha.

this is what i am thinking layout wise. just have to wait for the plant now!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

Hair grass success! When people say it grows faster In smaller bunches they are right for sure. Makes me want to break it all up and re scape my 120 and cube.

Suffering a surface scum issue which annoys me, I dunno if it's because I haven't been treating the water with conditioner or what? It started at the same time as my bba break out in the cube, I'm not having a golden run ATM haha

Ignore the cable tie, I couldn't find anything else to stick the java fern to the stone with! Hahahaha

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
What is the zip tie for? Dude, use fishing line and wire if you are trying to hold that thing down. You had me until the zip tie :(
Radius X Radius X Height X Pi= 27 liters

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I use fishing line. Kept wondering why my water was evaporating so fast- then I caught her!

Watch out for this- messes with the water perimeters too!

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
The cable tie was a last resort, I'm a racer not a out doors type haha! I think I'm going to pull it out for moss anyway.
*chuckle, I owned a professional race team. ALMS and WC.

Fishing line is available at even gas station in USA.
'Try it, you might like it'

·
Registered
180 Posts
Beautiful vases! You're inspiring me to get out the big bowl vase I have stored in my closet gathering dust. :)

I second the sewing thread, btw. I bet your grandmother has some of that sitting around. If she crochets or knits see if she has any scrap cotton thread or yarn. I've used that, too. It melts away in about a month or two depending on thickness/twist and you can pull any larger pieces out easily during a water change. And if she does any beading then beading thread is identical to fishing line. Yup, I do all those crafts and readily raid one stash for the other hobby.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nice bowls! You have a beautiful view outside your window too, are you in Austin, or Australia? :)

I have never ever seen fishing line at a gas station anywhere in the U.S. But sewing thread would work, too. And I wouldn't add a betta, their water needs to be changed regularly and that could be awkward.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts