The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I made a huge mistake and have had multiple fish deaths since adding new fish 7 days ago. :( I don't have a QT and have only the 55 gallon tank.

I have lost several of my established fish that were in this tank for 14 months. I have heard the warnings and kept telling myself I would set up a QT, but haven't gotten around to doing it. I can't believe what is happening, but know it is totally my fault.

I am wondering if this is a possibility:

Can I do a large water change and then add back only part of the water so I do not have to use so much medicine? Say only half of the tank?

I won't be adding any more fish until I have a QT set up.

Thanks,

Nanci

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'm guessing you have ich. Just medicate and follow directions on the bottle. I've never lost a fish to ich when using kordons rid ich plus.

Why would you add back part if the water? You should flush out whatever is bad in the water.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
you really cant do it that way because there are several meds that are light sensitive or only "active" for a 24 hour period. so adding back old water wont do any good. plus you will be taking out infected water and adding it back to a sick tank ie adding even more of the illness back to the tank.

what illness do you have and how are you treating

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I meant is that say I take out 50% of the water. So then there is only ~25 gallons left in the tank.

Then I add new water, but instead of adding in ~25 gallons back to have the complete tank filled, I would only add in ~15 gallons. This way the water total would be ~40 gallons instead of a full ~55 gallons. It would take less medication to treat the tank.

However, I am not sure this really makes much of a difference after all. But, I would still appreciate your input.

Hopefully this makes sense.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as diseases--at first I thought it was Neon Tetra Disease. However, the more I read, the more confused I got because one site mentioned an aspect that was not covered or contradicted on another site. And I was doing my best to look only at credible sites.

Neon Tetra Disease seems to take weeks to manifest and show die off.

And since this happened in 7 days, it does not appear to be that.

I am treating this as a bacterial infection and just picked up two medications, Maracide (Malachite Green and Chitosan) and Maracyn (Erythromycin) both by Mardel. We are in the middle of a snow storm and I don't have time to order something online. So my current option was Petsmart.

This should cover most of the bacterial problems. If this is Neon Tetra Disease, then from reading about this disease--then the entire tank is lost.

I hope these medications work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.