The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well long story short, I arrived home yesterday after being away for a week and the power to the aquarium was off. I was told that the power to the building was reset due to a test. Anyway I contacted the condo board as well as management because I wasn’t given ample warning about this “test” before I went away. In fact no one was informed about it. :angryfire

To my surprise management insisted on reimbursing me for the loss of plants and was extremely apologetic. Seems to me I wasn’t the only one who didn’t approve of the lack of notification. That being said a representative who “just happened” to be visiting the building today knocked on my door and handed me an envelope. Although I told management that I loss close to $50 in plants I was given a check for $100.

I’m pleased about the reimbursement of funds however I am not happy about the six and a half hours it took to straighten out the mess in the aquarium. I had to drain the tank and start anew. I had to get rid of quite a few plants so I’ll be keeping an eye on the SNS starting next week for Rotala sp. Green and Rotala Indica. I apologize for the long post but I thought I just share my experience.

Dan

·
Registered
249 Posts
Very unfortunate about your plants but glad that they at least reimbursed you for well over your losses.

I once had a flood through my ceiling in student housing caused by a failed pipe and the mgmt company wouldn't cover anything.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your plants, i have had something similar happen to me, but it was only for three days and my plants were fine. Good that you got some money to replace them out of it though. Good luck with finding new plants i would offer for some of mine but i just sold a lot of r. indica, and r. sp green.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear that. I was't expecting that much although I was looking for some type of reimbursement. Everything turned out alright I guess considering it could have been worst.

This is what I wound up with:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Josh, that's very kind of you. I'm waiting about three days to a week before getting anything because I'll be gone about that long. When I return if any becomes available in the sns I will try to purchase them before someone else does.

Dan

·
Registered
567 Posts
Oh wow, that is too bad! It's good to hear they reimbursed you for it. That was nice of them; I think plenty of people wouldn't have. I lost several hundred dollars worth of breeding pairs of angelfish a few years back when I treated their tanks (just bare tanks, not planted) with an algae killer, according to the package directions. I treated them, had to go to the grocery store, came back a couple of hours later and they were all dead, with ammonia spikes so high the water smelled like a catbox. The instructions said it was safe for both fish and live plants (can't remember what one it was...) and would not uncycle my tanks or anything like that. I contacted the company, had all the dead fish bagged in my freezer for several weeks while I argued with them, sent them water samples and everything else in the world they wanted, then they said that 'since no one else who bought that product from the same batch had complained, it must be something wrong with what you were doing, and not a problem with our product.' They wouldn't even refund the algae killer itself, much less all the losses and over a year's worth of time growing those fish up to breeding size!

I hope your tank gets recovered soon; what a loss for you.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ariel301, I thought I had problems. My small inconvenience was a cake walk compared to what you went through. I guess things aren't bad after all. I got more than enough to repurchase the Rotala sp. Green and Rotala Indica. I'll be looking to purchase them when I get back.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It kind of put things into perspective.

Dan

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Man, stuff like that stinks, at least you got a reimbursement.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry about that Dan...
Thanks buddy. :proud:

That really is a tough break, hope the fresh start goes well for you.
Yeah me too. It sucks waiting for things to fill out like you want but to be set back to the beginning is trying my patience.

Man, stuff like that stinks,
It actually smelled horrible.

at least you got a reimbursement.
No complaints there :icon_wink

1 - 11 of 11 Posts