The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant get my plants to pearl anymore! I used to run diy with my drop checker being a green color and got pearling. Even my riccia would have bubbles all over it and that is a good indicator of co2 in my experience. Now I am running pressurized and my drop checker is lime green to yellowish at times. about 3 bps and no pearling. Not even my riccia anymore. I do notice growth but slower than when i had diy and no pearling. Plus algae issues since the going pressurized. My tank is CRAZY!! I EI dose and have lights on for 8 hours a day. The only difference is that the diy was on 24/7 but the pressurized has the solenoid on a timer and co2 goes on an hour before lights on and an hour before lights out. What can I possibly be doing wrong. I suffer from hair algae too and have to keep on top of removing it. I was dosing only once in a while and not very consistent when with diy, then stopped dosing for a week or two during my switch to pressurized. Now for the last week i started doing strict EI. My co2 diffusion is pressurized through a glass diffuser and then those bubbles go up toward my powerhead's input and then spit back out again downward towards the otherside of my tank which is only 20 gallons. I dont know what to do anymore.

·
Registered
414 Posts
What diffusion method did you use before? What have you changed besides fertilizing since changing to pressurized? How old are the bulbs? Is the drop checker turning yellow only in the afternoon or shortly after lights on? My thinking is maybe you need to turn the CO2 on a bit earlier than one hour before lights on.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Do you have the same water movement? It also sounds like maybe your CO2 is not having enough time to ramp up before your plants begin to use it. I think Postal Pinguin is on to somehting....

The break in dosing can also be what has caused your algae. Algae usually appears 1-2 weeks later than the causes. Give it some time. Being consistent is the biggest thing. Do your plants look like they are still growing well? Treat with Excell until you can see things coming around. You could also cut back on your light until algae improves.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to just diffuse through a fluval plus one internal filter. Nothing else changed. The lightbulb is fairly new, only a few months old or so. Its a 65 watt coralife aqualight 6700k. My drop checker does take a long time for it to turn yellow though. very good point. It takes about 4-5 hours before its yellow. I turn on co2 at 11:30am, lights on at 12:30, drop checker not yellowish till late afternoon maybe 4 or 5pm. Co2 clicks off at 7:30, then lights go off at 8:30

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have more flow I would say but it is much needed. All i had was an aquaclear 50 hob for flow and i fill my tank up high for no splashing. but then would get a biofilm at times at the top, so now with the powerhead, it gives a nice little current in addition to my AC but not rough at all and no splashing still and I no longer have a biofilm problem.

I have excel on hand,so how would i use it in my scenario? Also should i change the timers and if so by how much? What would you do? I didnt have much movement in the water before so that is the only big difference i can think off.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I was dosing only once in a while and not very consistent when with diy, then stopped dosing for a week or two during my switch to pressurized. Now for the last week i started doing strict EI.
A lot of the problems we see in our tanks have roots in changes that were made to the tank weeks before the problem shows up. My guess is that when you were using DIY CO2 you were able to dose inconsistently because the CO2 levels in your tank were not that high or as consistent as you may have thought. Now that you have started using pressurized CO2 the levels in your tank are more consistent and the plants need more fertilization. Not sure why you stopped dosing altogether when you started pressurized but doing so may have starved your plants for ferts leading to the algae outbreak. It takes time for plants to adjust to changes in light, ferts or CO2. Once you fix the conditions that allowed the algae to establish itself it takes time for the plants to recover and get back to being 100% healthy so they can dominate the ecology of the tank. While the plants are coming around you will have to remove whatever algae you can and make sure to keep ferts and CO2 levels consistent, clean filters, do water changes, etc.. It seems to always take longer to get rid of algae than to get it in the first place. Adding Excel per the instructions on the bottle can only help the tank come around quicker.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
However long it takes for your drop checker to get to the correct color is how long you need to turn on your CO2 before you lights. You said it takes 4-5 hours. Why not start with 3 hours and see if that makes a difference. Obviously your fish are fine with it yellow as you see no stressing so you don't have to worry about them. I said to begin at 3 hours because the plants are using some of the CO2 with the lights on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts