The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 gallon long that was setup 1/23 and finished a fishless cycle on 2/11. It is about 70-80% planted and I do 25% water changes every other week. Each week I dose potassium, phosphorous and equilibrium. It is a low tech tank with around an inch of MGOCPM capped with around an inch of black diamond blasting sand. I have 3 rummy nose tetras, 7 harlequin rasboras, 2 nerite snails and a few random hitch hiker snails.

I had nitrates, although they were always around 5-10ppm until 3/1. Now they always measure 0. I am using an API freshwater master test kit that is not expired and following the directions. Is the lack of nitrates something I should be worried about or is it expected in a planted tank? My other 2 tanks measure around 10ppm but are nowhere near as heavily planted.

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
So would adding seachem nitrogen raise my nitrate levels? Very new still and not ready to go the dry ferts route yet.

Thanks guys, went ahead and picked up some KNO3, got to rip the bandaid off some time
Yes, adding Seachem Nitrogen would raise your nitrate levels.

However, it is good that you jumped right down the rabbit hole :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.