The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I don't believe in any 'safe' fish except otto in any shrimp tank. I've got 1 platy a month ago to help keep my seed shrimp population low, yes it worked, till the female gave birth and I got platy fry. I:ve got rid off the female and kept fry for some time, they;re only 1/2-1 inch long, but I've noticed already. my baby shrimp are gone. adult shrimp doing fine, but no offspring since playts fry. So no, no more fish in a shrimp tank, except otto ever

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I've heard Cory's should be fine as well as plecos

That being said given enough hiding places and enough (extra) food for your fish they should be fine with smaller community fish.

If you don't have baby shrimp it's possible they got eaten, or sucked into a filter, possible none of your shrimp are mating due to lack of space or food. This normally only happens on large populations though

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Dwarf corys are ok but larger corys might still pick off baby shrimp. Most small type plecos are ok with shrimp as well. Only problem is you have the keep the tank clean as the plecos produce a lot of waste. But my tangerine tigers breed more when they were in a tank with L340s and L211s then they do now that they are in a tank by themselves. I will return some of the tangerine tigers to the pleco tank again as soon as I sell off all the CPDs in my 30 gal.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I follow the rule- "if it will fit in their mouth the fish will eat it"

thus- I put zero fish in my shrimp tanks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My community tank has a LOT of fish, and the shrimp are fine, aslong as they have enough hiding space, I started out with 10 Red cherry shrimp, now there's over 400 of them ;)

In many cases, the shrimp will sence what fish are a danger to them. For example, when i still had angelfish, i wiouldn't see any shrimp, but the second day i put the angelfish in another tank, all the shrimp would pop up again.

Now there's about 5 different kind of tetra's(10 of each), 3 pleco's, 20 bronze corries, and some stray fish that i got from buying old tanks off people.

·
Registered
867 Posts
for fish only Ottos are safe the rest you are taking chance.

however, recently i been trying out micro crabs with my taiwan bees.... pretty fun but rarely see them around.

maybe you can try that

·
Registered
835 Posts
My CPDs pay no mind to my little rcs babies.

mine love to hunt the baby shrimp, and occaaaasionallyy - team up and take on one of the adults.

I keep them well fed to avoid this

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have ghost shrimp and others. The ghosts are very hard to find. You have to look really hard to see them. They also move like lightening if need be. Boom! They arrived from the wild. At first they took shelter and now wander about in open water and on plants. The fish leave them alone. I think they also munch on my baby guppies which is one way of controlling the population. Based on my fishing experience, most fish, if given a chance, will eat a shrimp.

Bump: Shrimp are basically underwater cockroaches

·
Registered
175 Posts
mine love to hunt the baby shrimp, and occaaaasionallyy - team up and take on one of the adults.

I keep them well fed to avoid this
Interesting, I purchased my CPDs as babies. Maybe because they were raised with shrimp they don't see them as a food source.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.