The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I just started with my paintball co2 setups a little under 2 months now. The first setup I have has a small leak that I haven't taken care of since I was a little excited about just getting it started. The bottle no longer has any liquid co2 swishing around when I move it but the pressure gauge is still reading around 800 psi and co2 is still coming out no problem. Plant have been growing great but I noticed a quick drop in growth on one of my stem plants the day after I felt no liquid co2 in the bottle. I was gonna let it go till the bubble rate/ pressure in the bottle noticably decreased but wondered if I was starving the plants of co2 in some way since the bottle 'feels empty' but still has gas coming out of it. Already did routine water change and dosing for this tank. I quess what I'm asking is if once liquid co2 is no longer in the bottle is that the indicator to refill or should I be going off actual pressure still in the bottle? :redface:

·
Registered
471 Posts
That means that you're going to be empty pretty soon. The drop in pressure will affect your bubble rate, since it's dependent on the line pressure, which declines when all the liquid CO2 converts to gas.

As a result, you probably are injecting somewhat less CO2 than you were, but it's unlikely to have an effect in just a couple of days.

One suggestion I have for you, from my own PB CO2 experience, is to get a second PB tank so that I can keep a filled spare handy (which reminds me that my handy spare needs refilling). That way I can swap it when it runs out, without having to rush to the filling place right away.

As far as monitoring your CO2 levels in the tank, you'll need a drop checker to do that with any consistency.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.