The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some more low-light, heavy root feeders.
I have some bronze wendti crypts, dwarf sag, banna plant and anubias, and they all do fine without dosing the water column. I only dose once a month or so with this tank, and I'm looking for any other plants that feed pretty much exclusively from the substrate.
The tank will be gifted to the next teacher to use the classroom, so it can't require much more than root tabs every 6 months.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Vals are pretty adaptable and add some nice height to a scape. Egeria najas grows messy but it's indestructible. Java moss would probably be fine and give a bit of contrast in texture. What sort of plants are you looking for?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As stated, I'm looking for low light, heavy root feeders that don't require much water column fertilization. I love vals, but in my experience they suffer without dosing.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have amazon swords that I really like but they get pretty big. They are one of my favs. I also like Vesuvius Sword, also one of my favs. The problems with vesuvius sword is they grow runners pretty quickly which is kind of nice because you get a pretty good patch of them the downside is the runners need trimmed. I have several in my 75 and the biggest plant has a runner with 4 or 5 new plants on it. I am about to trim and replant those to add to my patch. They also grow very slowly in low light. If you look at the 75 in my sig the amazon is on the right in the back. The vesuvius sword is on the right against the glass along the side.

I also have vesuvius sword in my 10g and it has done very well. It has produced at least 10 or 15 plants since I started that tank. I know it has a runner right now I need to trim and that runner has four to five new plants on it but I am not sure as the tank is like a jungle and I cant get a good look. Anyway the point being is you can start with one and in a few months have several.

I do not dose anything right now but both of my planted tanks have home made osmocote+ root tabs.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Echinodorus would be good. I already have an ozelotte sword in there. Though the leaves slowly turn semi-translucent over time. Not sure what's up with that yet.
The tank is a 40 gallon tall.

I'll look into echinodorus species, but does anyone have recommendations for echinodorus species that do not promote runners? As stated this needs to be pretty much the lowest of low tech tanks as it is being gifted to someone with no previous experience. Simply telling them "feed the fish and put these capsules (osmocote +) into the dirt every 6 months" is simple enough.
Telling them to reach into a tall tank (too deep for my wife to easily reach at least) and clip off runners and replant every month or two is not likely going to go over well. Though I have one vesuvius and it has yet to send out runners. Just grows new leaves now and then and hangs out. May not be the healthiest strain or something.

I'm also up for other crypt suggestions. I'm new to crypts, so I'm not so sure which species would be best. The pontederifolia (I'm sure that isn't spelled right) isn't doing well, but the bronze wendtii looks great so far as I can tell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts