The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
No Clean Aquarium

Hello Chris...

Great, if you prefer small tanks. I have some similar tanks, though a little bit larger. I emerse Chinese Evergreens in my tanks and the land plants keep the water clean.

B

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Do your tanks have the built in UG drain system BBrad?
I think it's a slick idea for the bowl type smaller tanks.
My wife keeps a betta at work and a gift card for that might find a way under the tree in December as a novelty. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
That's too small for a betta no matter how they try to market it. The idea is good, but they need to make it alot bigger.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not really talking about the size of the tank more than the innovation behind it. Would the vacuum that is created cause the bacteria to be removed quickly or would it stay somewhat in the gravel?

·
Surrounded by Blyxa
1,543 Posts
I'm not really talking about the size of the tank more than the innovation behind it. Would the vacuum that is created cause the bacteria to be removed quickly or would it stay somewhat in the gravel?
Bacteria won't matter in a bowl like that. The whole point is to do large ( 75+ or even 100% ), weekly or biweekly water changes for a betta. That being said, I don't think the vacuum affect would be any stronger than a siphon which does not vacuum bacteria off of substrate.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
I agree that is too small for a betta, and it also encourages keeping the betta without heat in potentially chilly environments, but it is a fun concept. They sure did well with their funding goal.

Beneficial bacteria are important no matter how large your water changes are. They quickly process the highly toxic ammonia that fish are constantly producing. Most of the nitrifying bacteria that live on gravel and filter media occur as a biofilm that is stuck to the surfaces. Since they are not free-floating, I wouldn't expect a strong flushing like that to affect them much.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Agreed on the comments about using as a fish tank.

There's also not enough surface area for gas exchange even if the heat issue was resolved.

I do see merit as a shrimp bowl for a office desk top.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
O.K. so who's going to be the 1st forum member to do a DIY Knock Off?

:hihi:

This might be worth buying a glass cutting bit for.

·
Registered
271 Posts
+1 way too small for fish. Love it as a desk ornament though, would look great with a couple of my favourite plants. Also is that copper I see on the spout?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
If it is copper, dead shrimpies.

Otherwise, I agree, good for shrimp, not bettas.

Also, a Pre-filter would be oh so necessary.

Their demo video is kind of horrifying bc the poor betta gets smashed by the water being poured in.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
No Clean Aquarium

Do your tanks have the built in UG drain system BBrad?
I think it's a slick idea for the bowl type smaller tanks.
My wife keeps a betta at work and a gift card for that might find a way under the tree in December as a novelty. Thanks for posting!
Hello wk...

No such system in my tanks. The idea of a maintenance free tank is essentially the same, no water changes, but I emerse the roots of land plants in the tank water. The roots take in the nitrogens the fish produce and the water stays pure.

B

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
If it is copper, dead shrimpies.
I went back and watched it again, the Copper Plumbing elbow looks to be a decorative cover for a plastic tube. If you look at the outflow you can see it.

I also noticed the water level would stay below the overflow so there would be little if any backwash effect even if there was copper contact at any point.

Personally, If clean a 1 qt, jar is that "icky" or so much trouble one shouldn't be in this hobby.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts