The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had RCS for over almost two months now and they have not bred at all. I have bred ghost shrimp like crazy before so I am confused. Could it be from my dosing of ferts. I bought a berried shrimp and those eggs hatched but none are becoming berried in my tank. Any ideas?

·
Banned
943 Posts
I dont know too much about RCS other then they are supposed to be super breeders. So I am suprised to hear they arnt breeding for you. What are your tank stats?

I know I also cant get my CRS to breed so I feel your pain right now lol.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Some of my cherries are so saddled, they look half yellow through their shell now, so I'm hoping I'm about to have a population explosion. lol. I had my crystals and cherries together before, moved all the cherries to a separate tank as they were being bullies to the crystals and I later found at least 2 baby cherries in my crystal tank. I left them for now as they're too small to try and scoop out without disturbing my tank.

GDP: Not sure exactly why they're not breeding yet. I had mine in my big tank for about 4 months with no breeding, pH of 7.4, high gH, kH. The 7.5gal tank I setup just for them contains netlea soil for shrimp, brought my pH down to 6.4, gH 4, kH 1, and within 2 weeks I have 2 berried crystals right now, but as to not hijack this thread, if you want to start another one it with your tank stats, etc, maybe we can help more.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I would imagine that the original berried shrimp has resaddled but if he got the pregnant one "close too two months ago" then say the pregnant one released a few days later the babies should be reaching sexually maturity soon. Once they reach sexual maturity they should be fine.

I was literally in the same exact spot as the OP (bought some cherry shrimp they were all female but i had one pregnant one that had shrimplets), I was so sick of waiting I finally ordered more mature cherry shrimp because I was sick of waiting for my original female to get berried by her shrimplets. It's taken close to three months for the original babies I had to start berrying.

·
Banned
943 Posts
I would imagine that the original berried shrimp has resaddled but if he got the pregnant one "close too two months ago" then say the pregnant one released a few days later the babies should be reaching sexually maturity soon. Once they reach sexual maturity they should be fine.

I was literally in the same exact spot as the OP (bought some cherry shrimp they were all female but i had one pregnant one that had shrimplets), I was so sick of waiting I finally ordered more mature cherry shrimp because I was sick of waiting for my original female to get berried by her shrimplets. It's taken close to three months for the original babies I had to start berrying.
Man when you put it like that it kinda reminds you how weird it is lol. I wouldnt want to berry my mother either lol.

·
Banned
4,616 Posts
Sometimes, it can take shrimp (even RCS) up to 3 months to acclimate and get "comfy" enough in their new home to start producing.

Patience, my friend, soon you will be riddled with hundreds of RCS. lol

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My parameters all good. I have a ph of around 6.4 last time I checked and my temp swings from 78 to probably 82 since I am down here in Texas and it is HOT. One was saddled when I first got her but can't seem to find that shrimp. I think she may have colored up to the point that I can't really tell if there is a saddle. My phrasing was also bad...the new borns are still super small so I know those can't breed yet.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It also depends on their genes too. for instance when i started breeding RCS i bought them from 3 different places. only the group from a local breeder bred readily (these are mid high grade rcs) whereas the other 2 groups of RCS were super fire reds and they took a lot longer to start breeding, i believe this is due to line breeding for color; so they must have weaker genes when it comes to acclimation. But be patient they will eventually breed, at least as long as they are in water :hihi:

·
Registered
381 Posts
As everyone said...patient...

I had my rcs for almost 4 months before they started producing. I'd be over populated except I was silly and put Endler's in the tank with them. I think the Endler's are eating the shrimp fry :(. Endlers are being moved out soon. I just got crs and I'm waiting on them to settle in and start producing.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Yup, takes a while sometimes. Mine took months to get even saddled, now I have about 80 or so babies, a few more ready to pop anyday, more saddled ones and they are going nicely.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think 80 is too hot for them. They usually slow down the breeding if the temperature goes above 75.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts